Day One - New Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
viclioce

Re: Day One - New Project

Post by viclioce »

Buy the way. How long is the Ace 100 B+ rear brake rod? I need to know so I can measure the ones I have and figure out which is for the Ace and which is for the Road Toad. Thx! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Victor, all I have is the Ace 100 brake rod at 20 5/8"or a 94A Wombat at about 21 1/2".

Max

I see that the Ace 100 and the 100B+ have the same rod.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

A quick report on how easy it was (not) to put Ceriani forks on a Ace 100. Nothing unsolvable but a lot of small pesky occurrences along the way to make it more interesting. After disassembly I discovered that the tubes were bent and after a long stay at the machine shop all the kinks were ironed out. The DPO had driven in metal rimmed seals into the aluminum lowers that took a few hours to extract. I finally located new seals after a lengthy search. The 12mm Hodaka axle required a 12-15mm spacer which I found on line and modified to fit. The tree stem needed a slight turning to accept the lower Hodaka race. The upper stem accepted the Hodaka races and nuts but it needed another inch of threads. I ordered a 25 x 1mm die for the job but it required a special tool to turn it. My machinist (who is a really clever guy) quickly manufactured the tool to spin it. The required washers on the bolts that held on the lower tubes were missing and due to torque requirements were cut down from faucet parts (sounds easy, but another hour.) The handle bar mounting caps were missing and required attention. Nowhere could I locate rubber fork wipers so I think I'll try these chinese boots ($6) for a while. OK, some of this you've seen before on previous posts but I just wanted to summarize about the number of curves that can be thrown at you during a seemingly easy restoration.--I guess that's what makes it so fun! :)

Maxie

Time to assemble this puzzle. (Oh, I forgot to mention the fork stop thing.) :roll:
Attachments
Ceriani fork project.
Ceriani fork project.
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Max,
I am glad you posted the detail to install the Ceriani forks. I can relate to exactly what you stated. Even when trying to repair / restore standard parts a lot of time can be spent finding solutions to worn or unavailable parts. And that doesn't include modifications like you are doing.

Danny
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Danny, I always appreciate your comments and I enjoy your technical posts. :) And your funny ones!

Maxie
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Max,

I am happy you caught the humor in some of my posts. You have to be so careful these days. Some people just don't get it and take offense. Most of the folks here are old school and a little humor / ribbing goes over ok.

Danny
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Max, nice work my friend.

Kelly
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Kelly, Thank you my friend! I'm looking forward to some shots of the trial bike mods soon I hope. Actually you should give us a presentation (photos and text) on your cool trials bike. It looks trick.

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Ah, rolling again, Wow, those Cerianis were a project in themselves. I think that part is over with. With a 19'' front wheel and 17'' back along with 13 1/2'' rear shocks and forks that are 1 1/2'' shorter than model 94s it's hard to figure what kick stand I need. It appears in my simulation that I need about 13'' stand from bolt center to end which is close to the length of a model 94 stand.

Victor, do you still have some stands and if so what length are they?

Thanks,

Max

PS--footpeg stays are being modified as we speak.
Attachments
Rolling again having won the battle of Cerianis.
Rolling again having won the battle of Cerianis.
Simulated stand length-about 13''.
Simulated stand length-about 13''.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Max call me 1--208==571--2823, I will give you something you can extend and make work, FREE, except for frtg. Bruce Young
took it off my Road Toad frame I had, needs new pad anyway, so you can extend to length you need and put pad on it and paint and go!!!
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

A few posts ago I mentioned that I needed to modify my footpeg stay to raise the height of the brake pedal. This has been done and the stay is being strengthened. I originally thought I might try this modification that was done by the PO of my cross-country 94A which actually works fairly well. The pegs have been welded directly to the frame and an adjustable brake pedal stop has been added. More than one way to skin a cat, we'll see how the strengthened stays work out.

later,

Maxie

PS--I will clean up those welds next time I have it apart! ;)
Attachments
Adjustable brake pedal stop.
Adjustable brake pedal stop.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Max , concerning the foot pegs, I thought trials riders like adjustable pegs that can be moved up and down and front to back depending on riding I conditions. I might wrong here, but I a the trials rider was a rider whom relied a lot on balance, and having a movable peg allowed for that. Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Bruce, I'm sure you are right about the benefits of adjustable positioning of the pegs. My thinking is that they've worked alright for fifty years and it's getting late in life to change now! :lol: If this was a serious trials bike that would be a needed modification. It should be fun for trials but I think it's evolving into a fun trail bike that is light and easy to ride. Also It's not out of the picture that it could be changed later. This is what I always liked about Hodakas is they seem to be made to be modified.

By the way, Paul is out of Ace 100 seat covers for some period of time and I may go back to designing a different seat. More fun!

Maxie

PS--Rick Mott has some interesting pegs on his trials bike. Maybe we can get him to post some close-ups.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The foot-peg stay has been adjusted for the proper brake pedal height and gussets fabricated and installed. It would have been more practical to have found a later model set up with a bigger diameter stays but this is what it evolved into. At least I used what I had and projects aren't supposed to be practical. ;) Actually that was a fun distraction!

Max
Attachments
Originals before adjusting height and twisting for later pegs.
Originals before adjusting height and twisting for later pegs.
Brake pedal height adjustment and gusset.
Brake pedal height adjustment and gusset.
Peg project finished!
Peg project finished!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Max. I'm not at home right now. Give me about an hour and I'll measure up what I have and post to you! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Max. So far, I'm only finding 10 1/2" stands, plus the 12" one I have on my Ace already. The 10 1/2" ones are for the Road Toads. I do have an extra 12" bolt center to bottom. However, it looks like it's been welded up from a weak spot and isn't the prettiest thing. But here is a photo of it, uncleaned. Let me know if you want it or not. I'm guessing it was an Ace kick stand but can't verify that. ; D Victor
Attachments
image.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Victor, your heart is in the right place! Thanks for thinking of me. I'm still along way from finished, I'll look around for a while and see if I can find or build something. If not I'll contact you. Thanks again! (I've got a 13' 'on my 94A that I can try and copy.)

Maxie
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Max-
Mike Lake contributed a nice article to the Resonator a couple years ago on upgrading & reinforcing an early (Wombat/Ace) brake lever, using an after market folding tip. You might find that useful.

Bob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Bob, I'll see if I can locate it. I always thought about (but never did) welding a rod along the backside of the brake pedal along the indentation. I'll probably wait until I bend it. :roll:

Max
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Foot peg location on a trials bike was explained to me by Ed and the gang back in 2006 when I was building the Spyder.
The foot pegs should be at the same height as the axles. The wheel base is normally 50 to 52 inches. The location in relationship to the axles is 36 inches from the front axle.
I made bolt on foot pegs as not to do any welding to the frame. All aluminum. 3 x 3 X 1/2 inch plates sandwich bolted to the frame. Honda MX pegs in 2 inch aluminum channel.
The brake pedal was changed to this style after Ed informed me my original design was too far forward, causing me to move my foot off the peg to use it. It looks a little, as Ed called it, utilitarian, but no welding needed. Easy to repair if it gets damaged.
Attachments
pegs and brake pedal
pegs and brake pedal
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I did have big visions of a trial based bike but reality has changed my view in favor of a trail based machine that I would actually use. Trial bikes are really fun to ride if you like to stand up. While studying all the trial options which required moved back pegs and shortening shift and brake pedals I began to think about how many trials I would be entering and how many trails I would be riding. I guess I just like Rick Mott's, Kelly's and Racercam's cool innovations on trial bikes (and others, not to leave anyone out). Back to reality.

I think the project and it's documentation is about showing newbies what all is involved in a real restoration and the unexpected hurdles one encounters. I had forgotten that the building of a project is as fun as riding the final product. I only work on the project a few hours a day but I do wake up in the morning thinking about the plan and modifications of the day. All good for the brain and attitude. Being a photographer by profession it's really fun to shoot all the progress and post it. Hope I'm not boring you! :)

Maxie
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Max,

You are not boring me. I am not to old to learn a new trick or two.

Just imagine putting all that mental and physical effort into a project....and then have to return it to the owner. Feels like giving up your first born....well maybe not that bad.

Danny
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hmm, I never thought of it that way. :?

Maxie
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Max I rather paint at about 65 degrees than 30. The temperature should be about that in April, could you send the old man that helped you up then? He also could help me with my paint spraying projects. He should be getting the hang of it by now. Does he charge anything?
Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Clarence, It sounds like cabin fever has set in. Be patient Spring comes every year. 8-)

You know, I haven't seen that old guy since.

Maxie