correct kick start lever installation

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
captinr

correct kick start lever installation

Post by captinr »

I just bought my first Hodaka, Dirt Squirt model 01. The bike is completely stock and original and runs great. PO removed kick starter for another bike. I purchased new replacement from SH. Can anyone explain correct installation procedure with regards to spring and pin orientation with the lever? Any help is apprectiated
RichardMott

Re: correct kick start lever installation

Post by RichardMott »

Captinr,

You will need to remove the clutch cover in order to install the kick crank. I will give you a basic procedure, but there might be one here on the SH website. You do not need to drain the oil to do this, but need to take care in not damaging the gasket.

First, lay the bike down on its side carefully.
Next, remove the case screws. If you have an impact driver make sure you have the proper Phillips bit.
3. there is a pin that activates the clutch. it will more than likely drop out when you remove the cover. if not, remove it and put it somewhere save for reinstallation. A bit of grease will hold it in place when you re-install it.
4. if the spring and cover are installed, all you need to do is install the crank on the spline at the 2 O'clock position. Tighten the pinch bolt , then rotate it to the 11 O'clock position. This preloads the crank spring to return it to the stored position.
Hold it at the position with a large screw driver through the frame.
5. Grease the gasket and install the clutch pressure pin.
6. Install the clutch cover.
Remove the screw driver. This completes the procedure.
If I missed something, I am sure the group will correct me. :)
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
jleewebb

Post by jleewebb »

took a pic when I last did mine...click it for bigger pic...mirror helps...I always use my JIS (not exactly Phillips head) screwdriver on case screws...
Attachments
kickstart pin.jpg
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

The original screws, so I hear, were JIS. Whether screws available these days are JIS or Phillips is anyone's guess, but I would guess Phillips, not JIS, the differences being largely esoteric. I have never seen JIS screws at the hardware or bike shop, and rarely see original, factory screws on any bike forty years old. But, if you have such a driver and it works, by all means use it.

I changed kick start levers for years without taking the side cover off, mostly because I didn't know you needed to. It is a pain In the butt to align the spring and lever with the spring under pressure, but it can be done.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

So far as I know, the original case screws were #3 Phillips - not JIS.
Ed.
Keep the rubber side down!
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I have always been able to install the kicker without taking the clutch cover off, by removing the kick return rubber stopper. With that out of the way, you can install kicker without any tension on spring, them turn counterclockwise to put tension on the spring and get the kicker in the proper position. Then just put the rubber stopped back in.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Don't know if you got it done yet but I have a spare kick start lever if you need one! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90