02 transmission

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rtboone

02 transmission

Post by rtboone »

Greetings fellow Hodaka enthusiasts
I just completed an 02 project, and upon the first start up, I noticed a strange sound(rumbling /knocking not grinding) coming from the engine that went away when I put it into gear. On careful examination of the trans. gears, I noticed that the second gear had some fairly big indents from the balls. And when I viewed the photo enlarged----- cracks in the center and in at least two teeth-----I need new glasses and a 2nd gear! If I had run this gear baaaaad things were bound to happen.
1st gear is not as bad and doesn't have any cracks. Should I replace this gear?
3rd gear is in good shape and is a darker color than the rest of the gears. Maybe a hardened upgrade?
4th and 5th are fine also.
Perhaps the trany wouldn't be in this condition if the previous owner knew how to "snick" his shifts like the "Bullfrog" teaches us.

Tom
Attachments
IMAG0950.jpg
socalhodaka

Re: 02 transmission

Post by socalhodaka »

Tom, on another topic. Great photo
Kelly
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

I installed a new 2nd gear( I believe that I'm lucky that Paul had one in stock) and all new balls($.35 each). About four of the old balls had small dings---makes sense to me that they were getting beat up by the indents in the old gear.
I never thought about what the balls are doing while the engine is running, but they must be moving all the time, and need a smooth surface to glide along.
Anyway----No more odd rumbling noises coming from the transmission.

Tom
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, Great work, now that points out to all of us in the Hodaka world, how important a little $.35 item, can be. Also I hope you replaced the springs behind the balls as well. Both very
important in making smooth shifts and etc. I might suggest that you change your oil after a little riding, while still warm, not hot but warm and collect in something to see if any metel parts and scraps are in the oils. Than do it again in a fairly short period of riding to double check that all is going well. Good Job. All. Bruce Hodakaparts.com Idaho
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

Bruce
Thanks for your input.
Maybe it would be a good idea just to replace the balls whenever anyone does an engine rebuild. $7 is a cheap price to pay for these important parts.

I replaced the springs and installed a new control shaft o-ring prior to the first start up of this engine. Ran it for no more than 3 or 4 minutes, drained the oil and found very small particles. When I took the engine apart I did not see any obvious problems with the gears until I inspected the inside surfaces. This is something that I did not do, but should have when assembling the engine the first time. A little more careful examination of theses parts would have saved me quite a bit of time and effort.

The output shaft and all of the transmission parts along with the cases and bearings got a good cleaning and I plan on following your advice about the oil changes. Would there be any reason to change the springs again? I have so much fun dealing with those pesky control rod clips!

Tom
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, I think at this time the springs would be ok, It sounds you have taken all the right steps to prevent any further issues, good job.
remember; A little preventive medicine goes a long way,
Thanks Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's what Grandma Young used to say about cod liver oil too!
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

I just completed two oil changes and came up with a clean drain pan. Also----The transmission is no longer making those odd noises.
I would judge this as a success and possible destruction avoided. Yeah!!!!!

Tom