Can anyone identify this model? Year?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zbikeguy

Can anyone identify this model? Year?

Post by Zbikeguy »

Image pulled my dad's old bike from the weeds in the backyard. Would be grateful If anyone can tell me what model this is so I can begin restoring it. Front fender is plastic, not metal.Was that stock or aftermarket? Seems all the ones I see online are metal... I appreciate any info, thanks
Attachments
20200606_184539.jpg
olddogs

Re: Can anyone identify this model? Year?

Post by olddogs »

You may have hit the Hodaka jackpot. It appears to be a 1970 or 71 Super Rat. Should be a B head tag or a serial number starting with b stamped into the frame near the left side seat area. The engine is a model 93 SR, but the parts interchanges between years is wide. Would have had stainless fenders front and rear.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I can see the frame is modified. To verify what frame it is one would need the serial number. and the same thing to identify the engine, motor. looks like a fun project. Send more pictures. -----------Clarence
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

It`s primarily a Wombat .Joe.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

It looks like a modified "toaster tank" Super Rat to me. Immediately noticeable mods include:
- Reed valve intake manifold
- Extended swing arm
- Rear fender loop bent up (probably for tire clearance with swing arm extension and forward mounting of shocks)
- After-market foot pegs
- Plastic front fender (as mentioned)

Are you going to make it run the way it was when your Dad rode it? (which is what I'd lean toward) Or are you going to return it to factory specs?

NOTE: Cylinder displacement is molded into the side of the cylinder immediately below the bottom cylinder fin on the right side. (My bet is that you will find 98cc there.) The pipe seems to be (pretty clearly) a Super Rat pipe. Front tire looks to be a 19" - which would be "correct" for a Super Rat.

Interesting bike! Your Dad made appropriate modifications to the machine for the period. Y'all are going to have some fun!

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

The engine size in cc is stamped on the lower left bottom edge of the jug. Eds post has a typo. The engine identification number is on the case top just above the clutch cable attachment on the right side of the engine. M for Super Rat, H is Wombat, J is CW. Some clues point to a collection of parts (like a Combat Wombat shoulder rear rim.)
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Olddogs - nope, not a typo -- an outright mistake. :o (and a learning experience!) So here is a correction.

- The Wombat 125 cylinder has the displacement molded in on the right side of the cylinder just above (not below) the bottom fin.
- The earlier 100cc cylinders have the displacement molded in on the left side of the cylinder just above (not below) the bottom fin.

Sheesh, who knew the two sizes of cast iron cylinders had the displacement information placed on opposite sides of the cylinder(s)? Well, now I do. ;)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Zbikeguy

Post by Zbikeguy »

Wow thanks for the info everyone. Here's what I got so far. 98cc on the engine... that's it lol cant find any numbers anywhere else other than a stamp on the bottom rear of the engine/ mount? "Made in Japan 921001-02".
Frame looks to have been painted black but was originally red as some of it is beginning to show underneath. Seat is yellow, sorry it's still at my mother's house somewhere. I'd like to restore this to how my father had it rather than factory spec. Wish I had pics of it in its glory days but I dont so here are some more from today
Attachments
20200607_150411.jpg
20200607_150420.jpg
20200607_150432.jpg
20200607_150304.jpg
20200607_150312.jpg
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

The info is there you just have to find it.

Google search "Hodaka Model Identification" and it will link you to 2 sites which have pictures of where the model and engine numbers are located. The red frame with the 98cc engine and a 4 stud intake still point to a 70 or 71 Super Rat. Find any parts laying in the bushes, some of them are scarce and pricey, but everything you need is available somewhere. Hang on, a new addiction may be in your future.
Zbikeguy

Post by Zbikeguy »

Cleaned up around the engine a bit more and found the barely there number F2301.
Looked that up and it seems it can be an early 70 super rat engine. There is no I.d. plate on the front of the frame and I can see where the serial# tag was below the seat but it too is gone. The only other place the frame# can be is on the gusset under the tank. I believe due to the repaint it is hidden. Again, thanks for the help. It looks like I've got a modified super rat. You guys are good. Now I'm going to take it apart, clean it all up and start the rebuild.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

You can find the engine number on the right case in the front. Not the clutch cover but the actual engine case. Here’s a picture if a “J” series motor! This photo is from a Combat Wombat. Your motor is likely to start with an “M” if it’s a Super Rat, or a “P” if it’s an Ace.

Your frame number will be on both the VIN plate & on the left rear of the frame facing outward. The frame will start with an “A” if it’s an Ace & a “B” if it’s a Super Rat.

Restoring these bikes is fun and not difficult, especially if you use this forum to help you! I would strongly recommend that you buy a Hodaka Shop Manual. Terry Larson at Hodaka-Parts.com will be able to get you almost everything you need to return her to a great running bike! You can also find manuals, sometimes, on eBay.

The best thing to do is decide how you want to work the bike up. Maybe your mom has some old photos stashed away somewhere, showing what the bike looked like when your dad ran it regularly? At least it’s a hope!

Best of luck, and remember, the only stupid question is the one you didn’t ask! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
1927C7DE-B5CA-4E9F-8F27-F15D7CB2C371.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Dale

Post by Dale »

Zbikeguy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:27 pm Cleaned up around the engine a bit more and found the barely there number F2301.
Looked that up and it seems it can be an early 70 super rat engine. There is no I.d. plate on the front of the frame and I can see where the serial# tag was below the seat but it too is gone. The only other place the frame# can be is on the gusset under the tank. I believe due to the repaint it is hidden. Again, thanks for the help. It looks like I've got a modified super rat. You guys are good. Now I'm going to take it apart, clean it all up and start the rebuild.
Yes, F2301 would be a replacement motor for a chrome tank Super Rat. Excellent! As for the frame number, if there used to be a tag under the seat then there would not also be a number on the gusset where later models had a number. Also, the numbers on the gussets are quite deep and would be difficult to hide with paint.
Dale
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Looking at your pics enlarged, it looks as though the rear frame bar may have been forshortened. That could mean the section with the frame number was removed. Would have been nice to know the year if was made. Is there any documentation left on the bike at your mom’s house? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

It is not a super rat or model 92 100B frame. It is a ace 90 or ace 100 which would make no difference to a good runner. You can clearly see the rivet holes left in the frame. What a good looking rat pipe --------------- Clarence
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Photos sure do help! The frame has 2 tiny holes where the Serial Numbers should be. Looks like a Tag was there. The seat bracket looks like it`s for the ACE90. Possibly this Bike was built from more than one. The Forks look to be 69 70. The Engine has the 1 down 4 up Shift Cover. That`s nice. The Cylinder looks like a Model 92 with a DH Reed Cage and Super Rat Carb. The DH Reed Cage I bought in 1973 has 6 holes: 3 on each side. The middle holes are for use on a Model 92 Cylinder. No matter what, it belonged to your Dad and that alone makes it Special!!! Joe
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I see the rivet holes now when I zoom in! You guys are sharp! I missed them completely! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

This is fun, like a Hodaka version of Wheres Waldo. Joes correct, now appears to be an Frankenstein ACE. In the first post I thought I saw a 4 stud intake with the Rat pipe and got excited. The extra wires poking out of the mag cover indicates an ignition switch at some point in its early life. I bet every kid in the neighborhood learned to ride on this thing, and it probably has a list of past owners a mile long.