extra parts

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
givergas

extra parts

Post by givergas »

well im supposed to be cleaning my shop and here i am screwing around so to make it feel like im doing something ill ask a question. after a bringing one of these bikes back to running and replacing a lot of parts what do you keep and what to throw away?
taber hodaka

Re: extra parts

Post by taber hodaka »

Well do you use your shop for working on things or storing stuff? Store, trade, sell or give away. Quality and condition and hard to get items --- unlike used rusty spokes. -------Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

well if you look at my shop it does look like i store a lot of stuff, but your right if its worn out its worn out. get rid of it. thanks maybe you helped me get over my separation anxiety.....albert
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Just to throw a monkey wrench into your freshly-turning gears, I rarely throw anything away - ever. A recent example: I had an old, crispy Torque Engineering Whispering Smith pipe for a Yammie DT100 that has been cluttering up my shop for decades. The chamber was flattened and rusted through and the silencer inner was missing. The header was perfect and the EXACT piece needed to repair the same pipe with a good chamber/silencer and a totally rusted out, roached out header for a bud's project. Presto - one man's junk is another man's treasure. If you have the room, keep it. If not, then edit. Although, as Clarence intimated, junk is junk and old service items wouldn'y be old service items if they were still serviceable.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

If you can't use it or sell it to someone who can, trash it.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

So what do you have? Have you prepared a list yet of what’s available? I’m picking up another Ace 100 on Thursday... :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

I don't really have any thing to pass on every thing I replaced was a maintenance part like tires brakes cables or wore out like bearings seals just wanted to see how some of you thought on the matter.didn't want to throw some thing away then read you should never throw that away
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

All the stuff you mention there is dumpster bound. If the cable might be used in a pinch, then keep it, but label it. But the rest, out it goes.
JackM

Post by JackM »

Givergas, I have the same problem: too many bikes, too many parts sitting on shelves in my garage. Especially, trying to decide what to do with the many parts I have shelved off of a pretty much basket case 97 super combat that I had acquired in order to complete my other model 97. I've held on to them, thinking, that whoever buys my good bike, may want the other parts as back-up. Trouble is, I like hanging onto things, going back to the days when I sold my '71 Husqvarna that i bought brand new. I've regretted it ever since, even though I'm too old to ride such bikes anymore.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello Hodaka World, several of you whom committed on this original post stated that you had extra parts and pieces on the shelf and you didn,t want to just throw away or scrap, Why not take the time to look the stocks over, and get the extra, taking up space stuff, into a companies hands that helps supply per-owned parts and pieces at very reasonable prices to help get a projects over the top and on the road again, I am not talking about eng, trans, or special or racing parts, I mean like original switch, ( all ), original clutch and brake perches, and levers, lites, and turn signals, parts and pieces. Let me know what you have and lets recycle some of that extra items back to those whom may not have a parts stash. Bruce Young Hodakapartsidaho.com
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Great idea Bruce! And I will need an Ace 100 Seat, or at least a Pan. But prefer a seat that still has foam on it. Buying another Ace 100 B Thursday, so let me know! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Victor let us know the engine and frame numbers. I am trying to complete some charts. ---------------Clarence
Last edited by taber hodaka on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Clarence, I know you are working on charts that I hope help us all do our ID of our machines, you are asking eng and frame info, Please if you can post a copy of a work sheet so we in the field can get an idea of what is being gathered, and what input would help you further this project, If we can see what you have started, maybe by posting, you will sent a lot more info to help. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
JackM

Post by JackM »

I have a super rat 98 frame with two different frame numbers. (one on the steering head and one on the frame). Both are model 98 numbers. Could it have come from the factory that way, and if not, why change the steering head number plate?
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Could be they rebuilt two and got them mixed up. I don't think it came from the factory like that. ------------Clarence
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Or after a paint job the original steering head number plate was damaged/lost and a replacement was sourced. I've seen steering head number plates come up for sale from time to time.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

While it is theoretically possible that a machine left the factory with a mismatch on the frame numbers, it is faaaaarrrrr more likely that the mis-match was created later.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!