Lighten a Hodaka

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
ammodave

Lighten a Hodaka

Post by ammodave »

A stock 100B+ weighs about a 185 lbs. How much can you lighten it by switching to a plastic tank and fenders, removing the battery box, etc. and still end up with a reliable street legal bike? I'm sure lots of folks have done this but I can't find anything by searching the forum.
viclioce

Re: Lighten a Hodaka

Post by viclioce »

I wouldn’t worry about the weight of the battery/battery box. With lights on the Ace, the battery acts as the voltage regulator. No battery, no lights. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

The part that most effects performance and is the heaviest is the nut that holds on the handlebars! =)
ammodave

Post by ammodave »

Didn't there used to be something called a "battery eliminator" that allowed you to remove the battery without blowing out your lights due to unregulated voltage?
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Changing the steel tank to a plastic tank will save you about 5 lbs. (depending on which plastic tank you use), with no effect on reliability. Fenders, another lb. or two. Removing the metal plate and bracket that the footpegs mount to will save approx. another 5 lbs. (Cut off the footpeg mounts and weld to the frame, many of the trials Hodaka's have this done. Another advantage of this, is it makes it much easier to remove and re-mount the shifter case). Many of these changes are listed in an old issue of Dirt Bike magazine, if you can find a copy it's a good read.

I wouldn't worry about the battery as it's not that heavy and it helps with keeping the lighting system working well. On some of the bikes that have a very large taillight, you can replace it with a light from an older English bike and save another couple of pounds.

I found the cheapest way to lighten my bikes was to watch my diet and work out regularly.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I think the old "battery eliminators" were more for bikes that required a battery to run.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

If you can find them, alloy wheels are a sweet way to lighten the bike, and with a drive train bonus.
ammodave

Post by ammodave »

Thanks for the info. I'd forgotten how heavy that footpeg mount probably is.