Hodaka paint

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
megawat

Hodaka paint

Post by megawat »

I have a low mileage Ace 100B, and am planning some cosmetic paint work. The color is the same Hodaka orange I recall from the 60's and 70's. Question: have seen some nicely restored 100's that are a cherry red that I don't recall, are these restorers taking artistic liberty or was there a color on 100's in addition to the orange?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Hodaka paint

Post by Bullfrog »

Hodaka 100B's and Super Rats (toaster tank Rats) were Red (with a capital R). Dirt Squirts (toaster tank Squirts) came in with tomato soup red. None of them had orange frames.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

PS: Even 100B and early Rat Red would fade relatively quickly with prolonged sun exposure . . . which is surely where the "orange" memory comes from. (?)
Keep the rubber side down!
megawat

Post by megawat »

Well have been buying NOS painted pieces to verify color, definitely more orange than red, tomato soup sounds close. Does anyone have pictures of Ace 90's and 100's that were put in a collection and never in the sun?
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

This original brochure should tell the story.

Rick
Attachments
92Bplus_100Bplus.jpg
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
megawat

Post by megawat »

Thanks, that's the color. I must be partially color blind, looks like an orange and red combination to me. Does anyone have the paint code?
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

I matched the paint that was under a Torco sticker on the chain guard on an Ace 100 B+(I was the original owner and had placed that sticker early in the life of that bike), and used that color to paint the tank on my 250SL. The tank decal is one from SH, and the red in the decal is slightly darker than the paint.

Tom
Attachments
IMAG0253 - Copy.jpg
Dale

Post by Dale »

The paint can be purchased right here on the Strictly Hodaka web site. It is "Early Hodaka Red". Note that the 250SL is a different red.
Dale

Update 8/30/2019. This post had been edited to remove the link to Strictly Hodaka which is no longer a valid web address.
Dale
megawat

Post by megawat »

Thanks Dale, appreciate the help.
ct70guy

Post by ct70guy »

Ive used https://www.vmrpaints.com for a couple projects and been surprised by some of the colors they have. Haven't painted a bike in a while but it might be worth a look.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Dale
Problem- your referral sent me elsewhere, didn’t see SH & site seemed possibly unsafe
Bob
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Bob, Dale's post was from 2014. As you know, SH (Strictly Hodaka) is now Hodaka-Parts.com. I don't know if Terry has Paul's paint stock - there is none listed on H-P. You might consider contacting Terry to see is he has any of the paint Paul used to sell.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

To me early hodakas were red orange, I never seen a red one. I use Gloss easy care XORUST, professional,paint and primer in one. No wet sanding or clear coat for me. Hot Red -------------Clarence
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Taber contact me you have had my 125 Wombat engine for 4 years and I want it back
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I am in the phone book under Clarence Taber cell 406 261 9326. Home 406 892 3722 . please call and I will deliver. --Clarence
mchris65

Post by mchris65 »

I decided during my last rebuild of my ACE 100 B+ to powder coat instead of paint. Not me, of course, but a company in Escondido, CA. We looked inside the headlight shell to see what color it was. They matched with a red they use and it looks perfect. 6 years later, the powder coat has not faded at all. Keep the bike covered when not riding, that probably helps.

Mick in San Diego
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

mchris65 wrote:I decided during my last rebuild of my ACE 100 B+ to powder coat instead of paint. Not me, of course, but a company in Escondido, CA. We looked inside the headlight shell to see what color it was. They matched with a red they use and it looks perfect. 6 years later, the powder coat has not faded at all. Keep the bike covered when not riding, that probably helps.

Mick in San Diego
Have we ever met?
Kelly