50mm rings

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
wildzebra

50mm rings

Post by wildzebra »

Hello!,
I’ve been around here awhile. Had to redo my account since it’s been a bit. I’m back on a project. First time rebuild. 71 b+. I redid the bottom, forks, new tires, nothing cosmetic. Anyway I’m ready to move on to the top end and as I’m sure you know it seems to be difficult to find stock rings? Any help would be appreciated. Get this top end on and I can fire her up! I have a 68 daily driver also.
Thanks

Columbus Ohio
Al Harpster

Re: 50mm rings

Post by Al Harpster »

This from an old post. Hope it helps.

I just don`t want to step on Terry`s toes! But seeing as how all he has are +.030 Model 92 rings I will. I had to make sure these rings fit first and they do. Perfectly! I was missing Ring #2 for my +.020 Model 92 Piston. Ordered one. PERFECT FIT! These rings are plain Iron. Here we go. Caber Piston Rings. EBAY seller dandrikop. For Standard Piston Rings you Type in: Piston Ring 50 x 2mm Chainsaw Trimmer Brushcutter. For +.020 Rings you Type in 50,5 x 2mm. He lists the +.020 with a comma for whatever reason. REMEMBER! The NPR +.030 rings Terry has are Superior to anything made! The Top ring is Chrome Faced and Ring #2 is Moly Inlaid. For +.030 Rings get them from Terry. They will out live the Italian Caber Rings that are Plain Iron! BUT due to the shortage of Model 92 Rings, I`m just happy as a Clam to have found them! Joe Ormonde.
wildzebra

Post by wildzebra »

viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Couldn’t you use .030 rings and file them back to get the correct ring gap? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

Original poster's question...

Where to buy rings?

I found this recent post. Copied it and pasted it.

I think the eBay link looks right, but not certain.

Partly because I don't know what size piston you have.

If you have standard size piston, meaning not oversize, probably yes.... This is it.

If you have a plus size piston the old post indicates you can buy plus sizes from this supplier also.

Keep in mind that these rings reportedly fit ART brand pistons, only.

Not sure what you have? Email me.

I've seen your '68 Ace at Lucky's Market. I'm a couple miles up high Street.

I've got the measuring instruments & the Ace Shop Manual. You want to bring me your cylinder & piston I'll try to clarify what you've got.

186 Amazon Place, 43214.
wildzebra

Post by wildzebra »

Hi Al, I believe it’s a standard size piston. All I have are calipers to measure, bit all attempts landed right close to 50, but I’ve never done this and I want it proper. Well how about that another Hodaka person right up the street. If your available and willing to help I’d be grateful. Thanks.
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

Yes, I think I can be of help. I've done cylinder and piston gaging & honing work on my b+. My advice & measurements are no charge.
You may text me at 439-2406. Columbus area code.
wildzebra

Post by wildzebra »

After a trip over to see Al for some measurements I ordered the above mentioned rings. Gasket set next! Thanks
wildzebra

Post by wildzebra »

Hi reading my manual about install and have a question. What’s the “steel expander ring”? I didn’t see anything when the rings were removed.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

It is a thin, rigid, octagonal wire that fits in the ring groove between the piston and ring. Its spring action presses the ring against the cylinder wall and it provides protection from the ring getting stuck.
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

Wildzebra:

Based on the size and condition of your piston & cylinder, I'd call this "ring helper" optional.

When I installed a new piston & ring set in my Suzuki A100 I became frustrated with this thin corrugated piece & pitched it. The Suzuki runs okay.

My advice: "fraggetaboutit". With what you're working with it's a detail.
wildzebra

Post by wildzebra »

Thanks Al!, when I removed the rings I did not see this part. I only realized it when I reread over the manual that I saw it in the diagram. Thanks! I’ll probably have a few more questions. I’ll just text you if that’s okay. I found another set of petcocks FYI