Clutch screws

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
mac

Clutch screws

Post by mac »

I want to take my clutch assembly apart on the Ace for inspection and blue printing. Other than a better screw driver than I currently own,is there a trick to getting the seven screws loose ? They are pretty darn tight and even my “best” screw driver cannot get them to budge without starting to slip.
thrownchain

Re: Clutch screws

Post by thrownchain »

Make sure screw tip is clean and solid. If it's the flat blade type you can regrind the tip for a better fit. Sometimes you really have to lean against it while turning. If they get truely stripped out. Put vice grips or good pliers on the exposed end to break it loose.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Yes, really "lean into it" to press your NEW (not your 30 yr old well rounded) screwdriver down into the screw head - then turn. If necessary, a hammer whack on the handle while holding down AND applying turning force will sometimes break them loose. If you have to escalate, use an actual impact driver/hammer driver OR one of those new fangled battery powered impact drivers (be sure to use lots of down-force to keep the NEW driver bit well registered in the screw head). Finally, if you grab the screw threads with vise grips, it will damage the threads. Threads MUST be dressed BEFORE turning them out or the threads in the clutch cover will be damaged.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
mac

Post by mac »

Thank you both for the help/advice. I did get them out using a new screw driver. I also made a jig of sorts that the exposed bolt ends went into to keep it from trying to turn and making it easier to really push down and turn. Ed,I also bought one of these last week after reading one of your past resonator articles. Thanks!
Attachments
0425FF17-9926-4CEA-9853-7E2800A7145A.jpeg
59111904-CDCB-4B3B-954A-64D3D30CE84D.jpeg
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Just be sure that the screw heads are in good enough shape to be used again. If in doubt replace them.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Mac, that is nifty and quick little "holding plate" for the clutch!
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Clever. I can use that idea. Consider inclusion in the "handy tips" section of the next Resonator.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

I also dig on that little idea of a support, please summit that to the Resonator.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

We must have been typing together Matt
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Great minds think alike, Kelly :lol:
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Mac
Yes, please do send me some good digital pix along with text explaining just what and how you did this. I’ll be putting together the next Resonator soon. Nice solution!
Bob 541-954-0101
[email protected]
mac

Post by mac »

Thanks for the compliments. I will put something together and send it to you Bob,but it you will probably have to tweak it because writing and presentation are not one of my strong points.
Thrownchain,I think you are right about the screws. I took my wombat clutch apart to see if I could use that cage,which won’t work,and those screws came out much easier making the condition of the Ace screws questionable.
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Try a small C clamp next to the screw you are trying to remove. You are usually not fighting rust, as it has had a lifetime of oil bath, but you are also fighting the springs pressure on the taper of the screws seat, which is embedded into the softer aluminum.. Sometimes just a little give in the cover helps.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Mac
No problem, we can tidy up articles but I do try to let the author’s “voice “ come through.
Bob