1974 Super Combat Swing Arm Bolt

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
sunnyd1960

1974 Super Combat Swing Arm Bolt

Post by sunnyd1960 »

How the heck do you tighten the swing arm bolt?
Rt side of the bolt has nut and washer and the Lt side has grease fitting...
I don't have shop manual handy. I do have illustrated parts breakdown handy.
Thanks
Sunny
Hydraulic Jack

Re: 1974 Super Combat Swing Arm Bolt

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

I was under the impression that the swing arm bolt is a headless, double ended shaft and that both ends have nuts. Because of the grease nipple, you may want to use a deep well socket on that side, or carefully remove the grease nipple in order to use a regular socket.
Hydraulic Jack
sunnyd1960

Post by sunnyd1960 »

Thanks...
I will take a closer look.
Deep well may be the solution.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

There were two version of the swing arm bolt. I am assuming yours is the later version in which case the left side resides in a clamping arrangement that is part of the frame. The clamp has an allen key bolt that needs to be snugged up to prevent the swing arm bolt from turning. It's similar to the front axle arrangement.

The early version was just a long bolt with a hex head on one end and a nut on the other. There were no headless swing arm bolts that I know of.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

It is easier to see the parts involved in the later design if you look at the model 98 diagram instead of the model 97 diagram. Both frames are the same as far as I know, and both bikes use a clamp on the left (but I think all of the 97's used a clamp, just had a different shaft/bushing arrangement). But it looks as if the clamp secures a bushing in either case The clamp hole is pretty large to be just the swingarm shaft. But no doubt loosening the clamp screw is needed to pull the shaft, which needs to come out to the left side of the frame.

So, no deepwell on the left. My bad.

I have a headless swingarm shaft on a 100B, which I am pretty sure I got from Strictly Hodaka. Nuts on both ends. At this point I could not say what came on the bike originally. That was 46 years ago and things got changed over time.
Hydraulic Jack
sunnyd1960

Post by sunnyd1960 »

Thanks to all!
Good information.
Ill be sure to let you know how I do...
Sunny