control shaft

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
tvrc18

control shaft

Post by tvrc18 »

This may be a dumb question but will the control shaft on ace 90-100 come out the counter shaft sprocket side if you remove the sprocket and spacer and oring. I am thinking the ball receiver might keep it from passing thru that end of the shaft and only come out on the clutch side. It has been a long time since I was inside a Hodaka engine.
Terry
bchappy

Re: control shaft

Post by bchappy »

It comes out the sprocket side but has to have the snap ring taken off the right side first. It can be done by laying the bike down on the left side and taking the right side case off. Is fairly easy to get off but very hard to get back on without the tool made for that purpose. There has been some discussions on this forum about this and maybe I can find them in the morning and post again. In the meantime check the picture in this link:

http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/SearchRes ... p?Cat=1877
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I don't seem to be able to find any really good instructions about taking off and replacing the control shaft, but I think they are in here somewhere. Anyone else know where better instruction would be?

Below are two threads that may be helpful:
Danny Cooke posted a really good picture tour of a Hodaka engine repair that is a help to anyone that has not seen the inside of an engine:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=185&p=215&hilit=ball+receiver#p215

I also found an archived thread of comments that were made about the control shaft and springs:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=195
Dale

Post by Dale »

Here is a link to a recent thread regarding shifter springs:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=502&p=1846&hilit=sh ... ings#p1846
Dale
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

Thanks guys for the info. So after the snap ring is removed the springs and the ball receiver have to come out the clutch side it seems. I was wondering why as an assembly without removing anything why it would not slide out the sprocket side after emoving the front sprocket and spacer.
Terry
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

The hole in the left side of the counter shaft is not big enough for the ball receiver to come through, so the springs and ball receiver have to be removed from the right side.
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

OK I am looking at the special tool for the control shaft snap ring and it has a little tappered fitting inside. What is that used for? I can not see how this works in my little mind I guess. I was thinking the tool had a slight cut away on one side to allow slipping the snap ring in while pushing on the little collar but it is not like that at all.
Terry
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

You slide the snap ring onto the small end of the tapered shaft, then slide the tapered shaft down into the tool and it will push the snap ring off the big end of the tapered shaft spreading it out as it goes. So before you push the snap ring off the end, put it onto the end of the control shaft and hopefully it will compress the springs in as it goes and drop the snap ring off in the slot where it is supposed to go. May have to try it a time or two to get the hang of it.

Hope that all makes sense. Maybe be need a video of this operation.
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

That makes sense now. Does the clip hold the the small tapered shaft from going down into the tool? It will slide way in there it seems.
Terry
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I had thought we had this Service Bulletin already posted on the site. Kaity should have it up online today sometime. It is titled " Replacing the Hodaka Ball Receiver". The photos show a Fuji engine being worked on but as far as replacing the shift kit the same approach is taken as a Hodaka engine.

Thanks
Paul
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Terry, if you have the correct tool, the hole in the tool is too small to allow the little spring clip to go inside.

There are two sizes of control shaft spring keeper clip tool and you must have the correct one for the control shaft and clip you are working with.

NOTE: The Service Bulletin showing this process on a Fuji engine is about to be published in the Resonator Revisited, which is probably nearing release.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kaity is off today and it seems she never posted the Servive Bulletin yesterday. Should be up tomorrow.
Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »