Dirt Squirt 100 Throttle Stuck Wide Open

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Mattchewy

Dirt Squirt 100 Throttle Stuck Wide Open

Post by Mattchewy »

We recently replaced the throttle cable that we thought was causing the problem, but it is still stuck in open position. Seems like the throttle valve is not sliding. Need help. Not sure what to try next.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Dirt Squirt 100 Throttle Stuck Wide Open

Post by Bullfrog »

Remove the rubber air cleaner boot and stick a finger into the carb to feel what is going on. Do you have the cut-away side of the slide facing the air cleaner? Is the slot in the side of the throttle slide registered properly with the guide pin in the side of the carb body?

But, getting back to that finger in the carb . . . when you apply full throttle and let go of the twist grip, the throttle slide should snap closed and you should be able to see/feel that.

One thing which can also drive you nutso is if the end of the cable is NOT registered in it's pocket in the bottom of the throttle slide - cuz that will hold the slide up (prevent it from bottoming out). Better check that.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
amanda11270

Post by amanda11270 »

I just picked up a wombat 125, I owned a Hodaka 30 years ago and coming back to working on a bike with a carb and points ignition was a learning curve again. I actually think that recently in messing with my bike I had the points gap incorrect in a way that it caused the same problem you are having at one point prior to my replacing the points and actually concentrating on setting them correctly. I could not get it to idle down no matter what I did. All I did since is replace and set the points, problem gone, unless something else happened that was unforeseen by me. I had to also pull and polish the center of the magneto as it was slightly rusted causing way premature point "heel" wear in just a few start ups, this is because the bike sat for years prior to my owning it.
Mattchewy

Post by Mattchewy »

Thanks for the help, with the stuck throttle. I will not be able to get to it until this weekend, cant wait to try your suggestions.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

The comment about the slide cut out facing outward is critical. The slide WILL go in backwards, and when it does, the slide will be just about wide open all the time. This is the most likely thing to go wrong. Happens all the time but usually only once per customer.

Friend of mine long ago did this, could not kick start his Yamaha, so he push started it. Unfortunately, it did start. Wide open. It was fun to watch. :)