Too or Not to Do?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
james

Too or Not to Do?

Post by james »

OK everyone this is my first Hodaka restore, and i am looking for some advice. I have a 1972 Wombat about 50% usable, im seeing the same ol Wombat restore jobs, which are completely amazing, but I was thinking a disk brake upgrade? rear shock upgrade? and possibly a front fork upgrade? any thoughts on this? Will this dramatically decrease the value of the bike? Honestly i am probably gonna keep this one. any comments will help.
Attachments
Just got my first Hodaka
Just got my first Hodaka
Last edited by james on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zyx

Re: Too or Not to Do?

Post by Zyx »

Depends on how you define "restore." If your intention is to return the bike to original or near original condition (typical restoration target) then, no, you don't want to make those changes. But if you intend to ride it, and if this is the sort of thing you might have done back in the 70's to make it faster, better, or whatever, then it is up to you. I think more Hodaka's were modified within their first couple of years than stayed original. I know my 100B stayed original for about one season, until I discovered that it was not that hard to make them faster, and who doesn't want that? So, on the one hand, I regret tossing all those 100B parts in a box and then leaving them behind when I moved from Illinois back in 1978 (that box of parts would be worth quite a bit today) -- on the other hand, even if I rebuilt it to as-new standard, I would not enjoy it as much as I do modified.

So it is your choice to make. Will it make it less valuable? Probably, but tell me if you know ANYONE out there who has restored a Hodaka for less money than its restored value. As with most hotrod hobbies, value is not what it sells for, nor what you paid to get it where it is. So the question is moot.
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

As long as you don't chop on the frame, any modifications you do can be undone. If you restore it 100% original, you will find it a nice parade bike, but not practical street or trail bike. Adding forks and disk brake upgrade will probably lead to longer rear shocks. You could add an 03 Wombat cylinder to take advantage of the reed valve and increased performance. I like to lace up aluminum rims. They are available at most motorcycle junkyards for much less than good chrome, and can be polished. They even come in color choices. The options are endless. A nice restored Wombat can usually be had for under $2000.00, so a drop in value based on customizations is not ton of cash. A lot of people have identical restored Wombats, I have 2, so I enjoy seeing the custom ones all the more.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

So we are back to the question: What do you want to do with it?
james

Post by james »

Well I have found a set of adjustable progressive rear shocks, progressive spring rebuild kit for up front, I found a set of kz125 wheels with the 2013 brake setup, I'd like to go back with a set of all balls sealed fork tube bearings, and use a combat motor but save the original and put up in a box just in case I ever sell the bike. Paint I'd like to lay down a black base on the frame with a root beer candy over top well I wanna do all the black parts like that , I've almost got all the bolts now , I'm doing all stainless I'm sandblasting parts this weekend, and I'll be sending the tank out Monday to be re chromed. Any suggestions? I'll post pictures when I get home tonight. Thank you to everyone who's giving advice.
james

Post by james »

I'm 37 years old and I love restoring or building bikes from the ground up I've done a lot of different bikes but this one is special because when I was 8 my uncle had a combat wombat, and that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, and honestly that bike was him to a tee, I just want something that I can jump on and ride 1500 miles and know this one is mine and there's no other one like it. I've been building and restoring vintage bikes for almost eight years now and I always build what a customer wants, I'm just glade I get to build something I can dedicate to the guy who inspired me my uncle.
Attachments
image.jpg
I love the tear down it's like Christmas
I love the tear down it's like Christmas
Last edited by james on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Wow - sounds like a great project! Post some photos of the process and/or finished product.
As for re-chroming, there's a thread on this forum with some info. Prices really vary across the country, not sure where you're located.
Relatively cheap here in Texas.
-Laurie
james

Post by james »

Do you have a link or number for chrome shop? I'm always looking for new vendors or contacts thank you, and I'll post picks tonight..