Restoring Nuts and Bolts

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SuperRat01

Restoring Nuts and Bolts

Post by SuperRat01 »

I have cleaned all nuts and bolts and hardware from my 75 Super Rat (98). I intend to have them re-plated to as close to original as possible. What type of plating is most realistic to the original plating? Also, is there any special instructions to tell the guy doing the plating? I have tried to read about it online but I am confused. Linc
taber hodaka

Re: Restoring Nuts and Bolts

Post by taber hodaka »

Chromed bolts or nuts if they were rusted I would but buy new ones from Strictly Hodaka. Bolts and nuts that were never chromed I would clean them and if they were rusty replace them also. Some hodaka parts like the brake pedal and kickstand appeared to have been zink plated, there is a zink spray in a can that does good. Test a little, as many times spray paint in a can will wash away with gas, wasting your effort, time and money. Clarence
pungo

Post by pungo »

If your not going for 100% original or musuem piece I would do what I do. I clean all hardware in degreaser, then wire wheel, next anti-rust treatment (pick you product many available, all about the same, Krud Killer, Evap-Rust etc, all are an acid etch), clean air blow dry, heat 15min in toaster oven on clean tray, let cool and then powder coat, black, silver or gold I use most, sometime color, let cool. I do the entire process in less than 2 hrs, from rusted hardware to wrenching on the part in < 2hrs. I use to spend days with primer, expoxy paint, clear coat etc and no where near as good a finish or as durable. Just my 0.02
Camman

Post by Camman »

Find a zinc plating company in your area. Send your dirty rusty greasy part off and get back clean new looking parts. Ask for clear zinc plating which matches Original. Cost is about $75-100 for one bike depending on the weight. This includes brackets, axles, springs, nuts, bolts, washers, cover plates, brake arms, spacers. The newly plated parts look great and are very durable for many years.
-Chris
Modracer70

Post by Modracer70 »

Eastwood sells a zinc plating kit that produces nice results, I've found that if you clear coat after plating provides the best rust prevention. A little labor intensive.

Dave
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

:idea: :idea: Hello, Bolt and Nut restorers, is it possible when you have time send some pictures of your results after you refurbished the nuts and bolts,
including, before and after shots so we can determine how things looked after you processed everything. That might help some of the new
Hodaka world restorers and maybe a few old guys as well, determine which way to go. :) Thanks Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com IDAHO
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Camman

Post by Camman »

Here are a couple photos. The air cleaner is NOS for comparison. The plating company will clean the parts before plating so you don't need to prep the parts. Check pricing as the cost varies from one company to the next. If you are in the northwest, here is the company I used recently. TFC plating in Portland OR. 503 771-0969. TFCplating.com.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
-Chris
nobog

Post by nobog »

I use:
http://www.yellowzincplating.com/
with excellent results.

I would caution on powder coating fasteners as I have never heard of an OEM doing this. Powdered coating on threads will change the tolerances/clearances from there intended fit.

Jim