250SL(70A) Ignition Switch

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
pungo

250SL(70A) Ignition Switch

Post by pungo »

Starting to restore this bike to be a daily commuter and DS ride.

First order of business is to get all the electrical working. The ignition switch has been hardwired.
Its unclear if it was done due to lost key or bad switch.

Question is, can a key be cut for the switch? I bought a new blank off of ebay. Can any locksmith
do this? Or perhaps should I just buy another switch and key, availability?

https://picasaweb.google.com/82indypc/1 ... kaSL25070A
pungo

Re: 250SL(70A) Ignition Switch

Post by pungo »

I just saw the missing Toad ignition switch post. I will try to get a generic key from Paul and then determine if switch is good or not.
May have a blank key available if anyone needs one.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Pungo, Do you have other Hodaka's? The key for the model 70 is the same as these other models: 02, 03, 61, 92A/B, 92B+, 94 and 99.
Dale
Dale
pungo

Post by pungo »

Yes I do, like 8 others, only Wombat, Toad and Ace have keys. Never thought to try those keys as you would think if they were the same there would be lots of stolen bikes over the years. But I will give it a try this eve. Thanks.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Well?
Dale
pungo

Post by pungo »

Sorry, forgot to update, busy tearing down the SL. My Toad key did not work on the switch. But while organizing my pile of Hodie parts I found a New switch with key. Think its a Wombat switch from the pin out and wires, think it came with the bike, box of spare resto parts. Anyway, that key that has Hope printed on it DOES work. But I already ordered one from Paul and did not want to cancel so I will have a spare along with the Blank key I bought thinking I had to have one cut. Now I just have to verify the switch electrically works.

Guess I should add a secondary lock on the bike for security and anti-thief, but what Hodie person with a working Hodie key would steal a bike!!!
Dale

Post by Dale »

My guess is that anyone that is bent on lifting a motorcycle does not have any concerns regarding keys...
It is interesting that your Toad key did not work. My 99 Toads and 94 Wombats use the same key. Here is a quote from Paul taken from another post here on this site that provides more specific information regarding keys.
Dale

"Re: broke key

by admin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 am

Bob the majority of the key's were stamped "hope" and the other side "107". These keys were specific for all models from the Ace 100B through the 250SL.These keys were cut on the right side.

Ace 90's were cut on the left side and stamped "3121" with a round head.

1968/69 Ace 100's with the ignition switch face that is stamped "3121" also with a round head and the key is also stamped "3121". These keys are cut on the right as the "hope/107" keys but are not cut the same as them. Ask me how I found out ?

Paul"
Dale
pungo

Post by pungo »

Dale, thanks for the info. The other ignition switch and key I have has the 107 on the back. The one for my Toad is a totally diff size and looks thicker and I know that its loose in the switch so I have a lanyard on it that clips to the bike in case it falls out. I know its wired correctly as I had to totally redo all the wiring on that bike when I got it. Once I get the key from Paul I will be all set.

Yeah I hear you, if someone wants your bike, most any bike, they can just be lifted into a truck or onto a trailer. Only my GL1200 Goldwing would deter anyone.