Leading axle forks

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rtboone

Leading axle forks

Post by rtboone »

I was just wondering how the handling characteristics would change if I were to install a set of leading axle forks on my model 98. I'm looking at forks from a 1985 Suzuki DR 100 - 30mm tubes- and am curious if anyone has tried this setup. Maybe it works or maybe it is just a bad idea. Any thoughts/ideas and input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
taber hodaka

Re: Leading axle forks

Post by taber hodaka »

There were leading link front forks made for hodaka in the 60's and 70's I have three./ One set is on my old ace 90 that I used for cross country and motocross up until 1973?? They handle a bump really well and if you use the front brake the bike raises up. On mine you needed good shocks also. My 90 had the stock front forks then I extended them about another inch lots of motocross and cross country . I replaced the front end and went to the leading link it handled rough ground really well I then went back to the ace 90 front end. when quit racing I slipped the leading link back on and rode the bad rock last year. Clarence
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

Thanks
The forks that I am referring to are of the telescopic kind with the axle mounted on the front of the lowers (like Maico) instead of in the center as Hodaka models are designed. Sorry for the confusion with my original description.
I have not had the chance to ride with "Leading Link" forks, but I would enjoy giving them a try so that I could experience the handling traits that I have heard so much about.

Tom
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I don't think the question was about the merits of leading link (Earle's type) front ends. I think the question was about substituting 30mm leading axle forks into the Hodaka triple clamps -- which (as it turns out) is not a good idea at all. It could hurt you.

Simply installing leading axle forks in your Hodie triple clamps will reduce the "trail" specification of the front end geometry enough that the machine will likely throw you on the ground repeatedly . . . and you'll be trying to figure out what happened.

IF you modify the Suzuki triple clamps (steering stem) which originally contained the leading axle forks - to fit the Hodie frame/steering head, then you would have a "safe" situation. I can't say whether or not you'd have better suspension . . . but at least the steering geometry would not be dangerous.

Ed
PS: There is an article about rake and trail in a past issue of the Resonator Revisited which explains things more completely.
Keep the rubber side down!
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

In my article on installing Kawasaki KLR front forks on my 175SL, the KLR forks are leading axle. I had to modify the KLR triple clamps (stem) to adapt to the 175 frame. If I did not, the front end would have a tendancy to slide in the turns (too much rake).
Mike Perrett
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

I have on my Super Combat 1979 KDX125 leading axle forks and the work great handles better and has much more travel

Rich
Attachments
100_1294.JPG
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Rich,

You used the KX triple clamps, right?

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
junker2k

Post by junker2k »

I have used them on my Hodaka trials bikes for years but I am with Ed, change the triple trees. I use the forks from 1975-79 ds175, they are 32mm. The triple trees will fit on the Hodaka with just a little work and they are much better built. Just remember the forks from a 1985 bike are not vintage leagle.
Jack K
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Yes Ed Its all Kaw up front . Gosh I did that along time ago , I built that bike in 1990

Rich