Thunder Dog Production

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
pungo

Thunder Dog Production

Post by pungo »

Hi All,

Was curious as to what the production numbers were for the Thunderdog.

I have two in my fleet now and considering a third that is within a days drive.
Hate to see it end up on ebay as parts so would rather save it.

Also was there ever a production Thunderdog with a silver motor? I thought they were all black.
I suspect it may have been swapped with an SL motor but owner says now, "all original", the number
of times I have been told that is too many.

Any differences in the ED vs SL motors, tranny etc?

Cheers
racerclam

Re: Thunder Dog Production

Post by racerclam »

well the SL and ED have different trany ratios, different primart gear fixing Sl is splined ED is keyed. Cylinders are different in the port department . Head finning is different for pipe clearence and combustion chambers are also different , ED has center plug SL has plug toward the rear. SL has a 30mm carb ED has 36mm carb . LIghting on the l is 6 volt ED is 12 . Other than that thier exactly the same . Also early ED has 2 less bolts on the center cases below the cylinder base.

Rich
pungo

Re: Thunder Dog Production

Post by pungo »

Thanks for that info. Looks like I am getting the 250SL from a guy near by, 1.5hr drive. He posted the bike here as well as craigslist, snagging it to add to my collection and IF I can get a title for it in NYS (perhaps via VT) then it will be a daily commuter. Should sit nice next to my two EDs, Toad, Wombat etc etc etc.