Gasket

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
S.M.

Gasket

Post by S.M. »

I searched but didn't find any information here on the forum. I would like to know what type of sealant or gasket is used in the middle of the left and right crankcase on the wombat 03? The engine I have to repair has a gasket but I don't know how thick it is because it is damaged. I can make the gasket myself if I know the thickness. Thank you for your help.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Gasket

Post by Bullfrog »

I vaguely remember seeing a center case gasket for Hodaka back in the day in the Service Department at PABATCO. But it is clear that A) a center case gasket is not needed and B) never became a staple of Hodaka engine rebuilds. The gasket I remember was er, um, "paper thin" :roll: - kinda like tracing vellum or wax paper(with no wax). Ennnnnneywayeeeee, you don't need a gasket. But you DO need to sparingly apply a very small bead of sealant to the case edge. Be aware that ALL of the sealant which will squeeze out of the joint has to go somewhere . . . and big globs of sealant squeezing out on the interior is not a good thing. Back in the day, I used simple silicone sealant . . . and did into this century. Then someone introduced me to anaerobic sealants designed for these exact sorts of applications and that is what I use now.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

Thanks Ed.
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Link to the anaerobic gasket maker. Comes in a small container same size as most threadlockers. The small container is more than enough to seal the center cases. A large tube is also available. Sold at most automotive parts stores.

Interestingly, only the sealer that is trapped between the case mating surfaces cures. The squished out sealant does not cure. What ever is left on the inside of the cases will be washed away by the transmission oil and the exterior can simply be wiped away. As Ed stated, use sparingly.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... maker-6ml/