1,2,3,N,5! What next?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
oochaDog

1,2,3,N,5! What next?

Post by oochaDog »

Hello again big brains. You're my only hope.

Race season is quickly approaching and this year I'll be racing my stock 95. I've got it running nice but 4 gear is raining on my parade. I just replaced control shaft springs, control shaft ball receiver, control shaft spring stopper. Everything except the control shaft as it looks straight and nice. Springs right way in. I've dialed in the shifter guide arm to work great with 1, 2, 3, and 5. Fourth gear is the bugger. If I dial in 4th (with the shifter guide arm), 3rd doesn't work well.

Right now I have gotten 3rd and 4th kind of working. I say "kind o"f because if I shift up hard, without clutch, I can get both to work 70% of the time. Also, if I'm at idle/low revs it seems to work more reliably. Maybe 90%.

Any thoughts? Nothing worse than in a race, going for 4th, finding neutral and trying not to go over the handlebars. :o

Thanks for your time as always.
Jay
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: 1,2,3,N,5! What next?

Post by Bullfrog »

My best guesstimate is that your shift cover is in need of a rebuild. A primary first diagnostic test is to watch the outboard end of the foot change shaft (shift shaft - shift lever mounts to it) as shifts are attempted. I'm betting you will be able to see a considerable amount of "slop" of the shaft in its bore. Other items in the shifter mechanism are probably also excessively worn. So, it is time for a shift cover rebuild.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

If available, substitute another shift cover and compare. The old 'known good' test.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

This could be me standing alone. The hodaka transmission was built for a clutch to be used. Every counter shaft has 20 holes and each counter shaft has 20 counter balls. Each counter gear has four recessed areas for the balls on the counter shaft to slip into, locking that gear to the shaft. Just touching the clutch allows things to align. I am not recommending backing off the throttle , just suggesting touch the clutch. IF YOU ARE IN THE WINNERS CIRCLE dO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO. IF you are a beginner, use the clutch just my thoughts. ------------- Clarence
oochaDog

Post by oochaDog »

Thanks for all the help. You three got me on the right track.

Ed - There is a bit of play in the foot change shaft. I would not have thought it enough, but it must be because I tested a second case I had. Now I need to do some research on how to do a shift cover rebuild.

MTrat - I didn't even think about substituting another one off my wombat. I swapped it out and at least on the stand all gears are grabbing nicely. Will test out today, on my test track (back yard) to confirm.

Clarence - Thank you for the input on the clutch. I do like to use the clutch but I noticed that when I was having issues with fourth, not using the clutch seemed to work better. But maybe that was just in my head. Since it's looking like my issue is my shift cover needs a rebuild, I'll be back using the clutch to get in that dang winners circle. Usually just me in the Vintage 100/125, but it's still counts...kind of. :lol:
Dale

Post by Dale »

Jay,
To have your shift cover rebuilt, I would recommend sending it off to one of several of the talented Hodaka builders. That is unless you are a talented machinist yourself. Hodaka Dave, Hodaka Ron Liddle and Greg Watkins all do amazing work. If you need contact info for any of them, please send me an email.
Dale
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

I had the same problem on my 73 Dirt Squirt. The Shifter Guide arm had extra shims added causing it to be way too tight. I removed one shim and it works Great!!! Joe.
oochaDog

Post by oochaDog »

I had a bit fun recording my shifting test. Thanks again for all your help.

https://youtu.be/s0hnrJm02CE?si=u7DFN0YkZS-AGhJe
Dale

Post by Dale »

Jay, you must have got it sorted out without a rebuild then? I'm glad that you will make it to the Kuna race.
I will say that if your shift cover has the original aluminum bore and you are going to be racing the bike, I would plan to get it rebuilt with the much more durable sleeve. Then keep it clean and greased and it will last a lifetime.
Dale