Swing arm removal

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Cruisermar

Swing arm removal

Post by Cruisermar »

Any tips or tricks on removing the swing arm on a 175? I’ve tried driving it out but it hasn’t budged a millimeter and I feel like there’s some retaining piece I’m missing. Never had an issue getting the swing arms off any of my 100/125 displacement Hodakas. Obviously they made this cat a bit different.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Swing arm removal

Post by Bullfrog »

Have you removed the swing arm pivot shaft "stoppers"? See the schematic drawing in the illustrated parts lists at Hodaka-Parts.com

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Cruisermar

Post by Cruisermar »

Yes I removed the shaft stoppers and pried on the opening a little to see if it would loosen up. From the schematic it looks like you’re supposed to drive the swing arm shaft from right to left since there’s a zirk fitting on the left side. I dont know if I’m supposed to remove the swing arm bushings first. There doesn’t look to be anything to grab onto to pull them out, so do you drive them out from the opposite ends?
Thanks for the reply!

Marlin
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Sorry, but I've hit the end of my suggestions regarding the hardware. I've never worked on the swing arm pivot of a 175 Hodaka, and I don't have one parked in the shed to look at.

From the diagrams, I was guestimating that the bushings and adjustment shims were all inside the frame plates. If that is correct, I'd expect the pivot shaft to simply slide out (with firm persuasion). Pivot shaft and bushing must have "become one" over the decades. Multiple heat cycles and penetrating oil and PATIENCE may be the formula (along with a call or email to Terry at Hodaka-Parts dot com 😉)
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Cruisermar

Post by Cruisermar »

Thanks Cap, I’ll keeping on ‘persuading’ it and see what happens.

Marlin