The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
fossilrider

Post by fossilrider »

Hey guys/gals, Steve here (aka Fossil/Foss). New to the group and have a few questions. First, a bit about me: As you can figure by the name/alias, I am getting a few (?) years on me (though still a kid at heart). I rode and raced for decades and have really been active in the vintage scene for 25 years or so. I keep a garage/shop full of bikes/projects with no particular theme. Anyway, I have had a couple Hodakas over the years and have just now picked up another from a friend who has passed away. I had no clue exactly which model it is when I went to get it and was a little surprised when I saw the blue frame. Then I remembered having seen a few years ago with a blue frame. So, when I got it home, I started the search in the internet and it appears that what I have is a '74 Super Rat, according to the vin listing I found. The frame# is G 11625 and the motor# is L 17495 with a date on the vin tag of 9/74. One thing that is a bit confusing though is there is a number that was evidently put on the side number plate, by a P.O. of "125".? I see in photos that the Super Combat also has the blue frame and orange tank and fenders but the "L" and "G" seem to be positive ID for a Super Rat. Anyway, any help with the ID would be appreciated. Of course I guess I will know also by the bore size when I pull the head. Thanks for any info. Foss
Dale

Re: newbie

Post by Dale »

Welcome to the Hodaka Club Forum.

Your frame and motor numbers confirm Super Rat but that does not mean that someone didn't switch things up.

There will be a raised number at the base of the cylinder showing the CC's. The Super Rat would be 98CC.

Visual differences between the two models would be the frame color. Super Rat was very dark blue with a hint of purple while the Super Combat was more of a powder blue. Also, the Super Rat had black painted motor, carb, front and rear wheel hubs

The good news is that they are both great bikes!
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

You are correct unless?? It would be a model 98 100cc MX super rat. It looks like they only made one batch of them 4,000. There were 125cc kits I wouldn't know. Hey we want to see a picture. -Clarence
fossilrider

Post by fossilrider »

Thanks for the replies. I got a few minutes free yesterday and pulled the head and found that it is indeed a 100cc (50mm bore). I guess someone used the "125" as their racing number.? This little critter is ROUGH! and will need a total restore. The motor doesn't spin and the piston doesn't appear to be stuck, since the view with the head off shows no rust, so far. So, I will see if I can get the cylinder off and see what is keeping it from turning over. But, at that point this project will probably go on the back burner until I get a few other projects wrapped up ('75 Yamaha DT400, '67 Ducati 350 Sebring, which are almost done, and a few others). I seem to be the king of "too many projects going at the same time"! I will try to post a pic to show what I am up against on this one soon. Thanks again. Foss
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

If the piston isn’t stuck it could be rod bearing, crank bearing or the flywheel stuck to the stator.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Pictures, we like pictures
fossilrider

Post by fossilrider »

Thrownchain, bingo! You hit the nail right on the head. Rusted/corroded solid. I will see if I can attach a few pics. Some forums are so easy to attach pics, but some I find confusing. Did this bike come with a reed valve ? Also, I thought, while trying to find out all I could about this model, I had seen that the forks were larger on the later models.? It feels like the bottom end is tight on this little gem, but it will need a top end job. Looks like the piston is 0.020 O.S.. While I have your ears, I would appreciate any info on paint codes and the best place for parts. Thanks. Foss. Well, I just tried to attach some pics but can't seem to do it right now. I really hate being such a computer idiot!!!!
fossilrider

Post by fossilrider »

I think maybe I got it.?
Attachments
Resized_20220222_124401.jpeg
Resized_20220221_134524.jpeg
Resized_20220221_134016.jpeg
Resized_20220221_133911.jpeg