organizing parts stash

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
givergas

organizing parts stash

Post by givergas »

its been a long summer and starting to get back in the shop to finish up some projects that have been put on hold so as to get other stuff done that was put on hold. ive put together/rebuilt 3 hodakas and working on #4 with one waiting its turn and as you all know it seems you always have more parts left over than when you begin also this summer ive acquired a pretty good pile of parts and i would like to go through them all to organize / categorize, put in some sort of order so as to know at any giving time just what ive got. looking for ideas of what some of you do or not do. right now there all in boxes or totes piled in the corner and various places around the shop. i have to to something and any ideas would be helpful. thanks ....albert
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: organizing parts stash

Post by Bullfrog »

Hmmm, yer already using the most popular "method" of organization. There's a better way?
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Shelving and totes.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

OK. I wuz just funnin'! I'm partial to either cartons or totes with note pages of what is in the box or tote. Notes can be detailed or general, though I'd admit that I mostly group engine parts in "classes" like ACE era engine parts (100cc, I have no 90cc stuff) and "Wombat+" (125cc specific stuff mostly). It's a kind of loose system, but it only takes me a little more time to find a part than to find my car keys -- so OK, I guess.
Ed
PS: I like note pages cuz they are easy to change out. Notes written directly on boxes/totes are semi-permanent and just not as easy to keep up-dated.
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Also, keep your eyes peeled for old machine shop parts bins, drawer cabinets, etc. for organizing small or frequently needed parts.
givergas

Post by givergas »

ok thanks for the replies . i guess thats where im at now , totes for each model , b+, 94 wombat, 03 wombat, and plastic Compartmented Boxes for small things , and a 2'x2'x6' cabinet with tanks, seats and carrier racks , bigger stuff . so yea keep it simple i was seeing spreadsheet's { which i have no idea how to do } and this complicated system better stick with what i know , piles and lists/notes that i can do ... thanks
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

start with five to twenty acres. fill a old trailer house with used motorcycles. A 40 foot railroad container with shelves on the wall for shifters, tanks, brakes, heads, fenders, seats, carbs and complete rollers.ect with three locks on the door. A small workshop in the basement of the house used for engine rebuilding, all the nos parts here, air pumps ect. A small workshop outside the house with paint room, Indian parts, Yamaguchi parts, workbench with vice and air compressor. Then the motor cycle shop in the big shop with the lift ect. Move in a small house for the runners or soon to be runners. Spend allot of time arranging and resorting. Moving slower and slower. stick with the totes and only rebuild super rats. ----------- Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

Clarence.. wish i was 50 years younger and read this for the first time, id take the first part of your advice and run like hell to the finish line.....albert
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Hah! I finished cleaning my work bench last night at 10:45 pm. I started about 3:00 pm. I was cleaning because I couldn’t find a brand new Model 94 exhaust gasket I bought from Terry. Found a lot of things. Still didn’t find the exhaust gasket. Terry is sending me 2 more! When they arrive, I’m sure I’ll find the missing one! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
001BD40C-D20D-4567-9A9C-33A8FDDCC930.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

and that was kinda where i was going with this post .... what do i have, where is it and what condition is it in
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Well I ordered 2 more exhaust gaskets from Terry. Today I went out to the garage & found the one I couldn’t find! Of course, now that more are on the way!!!

But at least the exhaust is on the cylinder now! All tightened down! I’ll put fuel in it when I get home & see if she starts. I may need to adjust the points gap. I’ve learned to screw then on so it’s close by lining up the adjustment post with a point on the stator. Different for Wombats and Ace style points. But now that I have a TDC gauge it will be much easier! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90