Need direction

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Chasewatsonaz

Need direction

Post by Chasewatsonaz »

73 combat wombat
Starts and idles fine shifts great but when you release the clutch and try to go it engages but doesn’t wanna go anywhere fast and high revs. Looking for direction on where to start to figure this out been through the manual couldn’t find any info or didn’t understand
matt glascock

Re: Need direction

Post by matt glascock »

Sounds like your clutch is slipping. Start with the clutch free play and work back. If you have the standard owner manual, that will explain how to adjust free play. What you really need to sort it out is the Official Hodaka Wombat/Combat Wombat Workshop Manual. If you don't have experience with these bikes, the official manual is priceless.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Clutch slipping or wore out, used the wrong oil?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

As the clutch wears, the freeplay Matt mentioned gets reduced - so that is the first thing to check. Disconnect the clutch cable, then check the freeplay at the end of the clutch lever down on the engine. There should be a bit of freeplay at the end of the lever -- 3/32" is the target. I expect that you may find no freeplay - which means you'll need the workshop manual Matt mentioned.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

First question. What oil is in the tranny? Is it oil designed for wet clutches in motorcycles? Using oils for automobiles can cause slippage, especially of the label in the bottle is marked “Friction Modifiers!” The main ingredient there which will screw up your clutch plates is Teflon!

Second thing. The “Free Play” being talked about above is the movement of the lever on the front of the clutch cover. To adjust more free play you remove more spacers behind the clutch disc. To decrease the free play add more spacers behind the clutch disc. The clutch disc is #43 in the picture below. #44 are the spacers. Usually there are more with a new clutch, & you remove some as the clutch plates wear down. It’s a trial and error thing with the number & thickness of the disc spacers. :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
44C5C05C-378E-48E7-81D5-A7E518842085.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Chasewatsonaz

Post by Chasewatsonaz »

Okay so my grandfather did a complete restoration on this bike in 2010 it was put away into storage after that never started again until he passed earlier this year and I got it so I have no idea what oil is in it I have all receipts showing he put a brand new clutch in it along with a bunch of other parts. I appreciate all of your input and have started studying the service manual so I can get this bike riding again