Shocks recommendations

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Tether

Shocks recommendations

Post by Tether »

Looking for some decent 14-14.5” shocks for my 94 Wombat that won’t break the bank. Any recommendations??
Thanks
matt glascock

Re: Shocks recommendations

Post by matt glascock »

Unless you are setting up for hardcore racing, Progressive makes great shocks. One advantage is that depending on the weight the bike will be carrying, you can get different rate springs for the body.
Tether

Post by Tether »

Thanks Matt,
I’m setting up for easy trail and roads. I am now looking at the Progressive series 12 14.5” shock that looks like it might be a good choice. Just need to figure out what spring weight to get.
Bob
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Progressive used to list the actual progressive spring rates but I recall they now come in "standard" and "heavy duty". I think the standard progressive rate springs correspond to the 105-150# rate springs. If that's the case, they are great. I have two Hodakas set up with "standards". A toaster tank SR for VMX and a CW set up for woods/hare scrambles. The shocks are great and I have never bottomed them even landing some substantial jumps. The dampers are not WP's but that are way better than adequate - especially for street/light train work. I weigh 200 lbs in full gear. I'm sure you can contact Progressive Suspension to get the actual spring rates.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

If you prefer to maintain the stock look then vintage KMS 340s are the way to go, and there still seems to be lots of NOS units around. They've improved the ride on my Wombat over stock.

However, the KSMs are the stock length (13.5"?) and I can appreciate the advantage of taller units. I went up to 16.5" shocks to help keep my 250SL from dragging on the ground.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Newbie here, first post. I bought a 1977 250SL at a bike auction this weekend. It had no shocks. I need some shocks in order to roll the cycle around the shop while I fix it up. This is a vintage fix up project, not a restoration project - so I don't need original knock-offs.

The last poster (Darrell) said he went 16.5 to keep his 250SL off the ground. What is the stock length for the 250SL shocks? I've looked at the schematics and can't find that info.

If someone can give me the easy button on a brand and part number, I'd take that, at this point I'm thinking buy once, cry once.

Previous Hodaka ownership was as a young 20 year-old Marine stationed in Nevada in 1974. I had a Super Rat and a Wombat, don't remember what years they were.

Thanks, Dan

(I'll be around - as soon as I can get the frame as a roller, I'll be splitting the cases - the kick start wont engage)
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

Make 1 (or 2) temporary wood 'shocks' for the roller. Different lengths can help determine the length of real shocks you will eventually need.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

MtRat just beat me to it. Wood struts satisfy the "roller" need, provide research information AND time for searching the market place. And don't forget that changing shock length changes steering geometry (rake and trail).
Keep the rubber side down!
Dan

Post by Dan »

Thanks guys. That was a Captain Obvious fix. Where can I find info on the stock length?
Dale

Post by Dale »

250SL shocks are 14.5 inches measured eye to eye.
I asked a fellow club member that I knew had a 250SL...
Dale
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Dale wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:56 pm 250SL shocks are 14.5 inches measured eye to eye.
I asked a fellow club member that I knew had a 250SL...
From memory I'm quite sure the stock shocks are 15.0" -- and too short at that for adequate ground clearance.

My original shocks were seized solid at 13.5" so I asked Paul Stannard for conformation of eye-to-eye length after which he measured the 250SL display example in his showroom at 15".

As delivered, the 250SL fork tubes typically appear to be assembled with the top of the tubes extending 2" above the triple tree. So after adding longer rear shocks (recommended) you can always lower the fork tubes to maintain the stock steering geometry.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Thank you all. Going with firring strip shocks for now. Have two other projects to finish before I dig into this. Thanks again!