Ring gap question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Tether

Ring gap question

Post by Tether »

I received my new cylinder, piston and ring for my Super Rat 93b project. The cylinder is new standard bore. I checked the piston to cylinder wall and it is good as near as I can tell using feeler gauge. When I check the ring gap of the new ring I get .013”. My understanding is it should be .004 per inch of bore which would be .008”
Is .013” acceptable?
Thanks.
hodakamax

Re: Ring gap question

Post by hodakamax »

I always start with, "If it was mine". Common happening. The gap will quickly get wider as it breaks in. I'd run the one you have for a while and then replace it with the next oversize and file to fit. Ok as is but you do lose a tiny bit of compression. On my short tracker of yesteryear the ring was replaced after each racing event to start with .008 gap. Maxie
Tether

Post by Tether »

Thanks Maxie,
The NOS cylinder I bought was one that had some water damage and was honed to clean it up. I suspect this is why the gap is on the big side. I do not have a good bore gauge to confirm this though. The bike will not be raced, at least as long as I own it.
Bob
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

One thought might be to order a set of .010 rings and then file them down enough to give you the ring gap you need/want. I believe I’ve heard that mentioned here before. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

Information by wiseco on the web for TWO STROKE engines indicates a ring gap of .010 to .014 would be about right for a 2" piston.

Pictures shown in this article display a water cooled single cylinder unit.

Since heat expansion is the reason for the ring gap it seems that an air cooled might be better served by the larger gap indicated.

Wiseco talks about gap filing, but not about going to the next size ring and filing down to "spec".

A too small ring gap could be catastrophic. Too big could be a performance worry, but I'd run what you've got at .013.

A compression test is probably what you will want to answer any concerns.

I think you're fine with what you've got.