Space Age Control Shaft Springs/Shift Kit

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
admin
Site Admin

Space Age Control Shaft Springs/Shift Kit

Post by admin »

We have been working on improving the control shaft (shift) springs for some time. A year or so ago I took Ed Chesnut up on his offer to help me if he could. So one day I yelled "help" to Ed and a new R&D project was born.

I had located and was starting to work with a gentleman that was so smart about springs it was embarrassing for me to keep up. Ed, being Hodaka's service manager and all around Mr. Fix it on the internet, was perfect to work on this. Our guy builds springs for NASA and some others so he is the real deal! Ed was floored with his knowledge and while working with him, they reviewed everything the spring is supposed to do and how to make it more reliable.

Yes, Webco made heat treated heavy duty springs with cupped end caps - but this was NOT the answer. Design features selected by Webco to prevent “un-winding” of the spring ends failed to solve the problem because the springs do NOT “un-wind” – however, they do “coil bind” (they get fully compressed and hit coil against coil). The new spring design addresses the problem of over stressing the springs due to coil binding, which can deform/spread the ends and “sack them out”.

Following the complete "rethink" and comprehensive re-design of the springs, plus a full season of testing, we now have it!! Some of the best Hodaka riders around the country have been testing these for us this year. The response has been overwhelmingly positive. NO reported failures at all. There is no longer a left (904616) spring and a right (904617) spring. There is just one spring designed to go on either side of the ball receiver - which provides for the best possible match of spring strength and pre-load on each side – a truly matched/balanced system. Remember the washers (904618) you used to use between the spring and the ball receiver?? Not needed anymore – and specifically not recommended for use with the new springs. In honor of the manufacturer’s work with NASA, we call these springs "Space Age Control Shaft Springs". OK for use with original or “new” style control shafts. We are all still working together to build better parts for the Hodaka owner.

Oh yeah, Ed still says you should "snick" your shifts - but if you don't,
these springs will work better than anything else. :-)

This kit pictured is for the early model Hodaka's ( Ace 90, Ace 100's,Super Rat's (93), Dirt Squirt (96), Wombat's (94&94A), Combat Wombat, Super Combat). Code # will be 202502Z . For the shift kits to fit the later model bikes Super Rat (98),Road Toads,Wombat (03) and Dirt Squirt (01) they will also use these space age springs but the part # for these kits will be 202502AZ. Both kits include two control shaft cir clips -just in case..
jakecb420

Re: Space Age Control Shaft Springs/Shift Kit

Post by jakecb420 »

what is a snicked shift?
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

Is there a diagram to show the order of the springs and the cup washer thingy? Sounds like a good fix Paul, thanks for helping improve things on these great old bikes.
Terry
rough rider

Post by rough rider »

jakecb420 wrote:what is a snicked shift?
It makes your tranny sound like an automatic. LOL For shifting up a gear, you let off the throttle and shift into the next gear and quickly apply the throttle. Notice you did not use the clutch. Takes less time to shift and keeps up the rpms. However....do not do this to down shift. Always use the clutch when down shifting and keeps your shifter springs happy. ;) Richard
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Whether you use the clutch or not, snicking the shift refers to getting the proper foot action. A snick is NOT a stomp. A snick is NOT holding pressure on the shift lever for more than an instant. It is a, well, snick. Certainly the gears must NOT be transmitting power at the instant of the snick/shift. It doesn't matter whether the clutch or a throttle blip "un-loads" the gears . . . but they must not be "loaded" when you shift. And when you shift a Hodie all that is needed (or wanted) is a quick tap at the shifter . . . a "snick". Stomping and/or holding pressure on the shift lever are both baaaaaddddd things on a Hodie. Do not do those things. No.

Ed
PS: Did I mention that you should snick your shifts? ;)
Keep the rubber side down!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Terry it would be a good idea for us to include a diagram with each kit but what you see above in the photo is how to install the kit. Really really easy now seeing there is only one style spring, So if installing the new kit it will be spring,ball receiver,spring,end cap and clip.
It was really fun working with Ed on this and I hope to do a lot more with him too and making new parts. Hey we ran across a guy who is very very intelligent about these things( springs) and we tried to make a better product.I had the luxury of having one of the most intelligent Hodaka guys ( Ed) in my corner too.
We have tested this for a full season in a variety of different bikes with a variety of different riders. No failures at all !!
As my friend from Oz would say "Coolio Julio"
Thanks
Paul
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, Any idea on suggested retail on these two great additions to your :roll: inventory. Bruce Hodakaparts.com Idaho
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

To my inventory or our inventory together... It is fine to let everyone know that we work together. Are the best of friends even though we have known each other for twenty?? years.
The new shift kits which will include (two new space age springs, ball receiver, control shaft spring stopper and 2 cir clips) are $ 46.95

The original shift kits with OEM left and right Hodaka control shaft springs are $ 39.95

Thanks Bruce I will be working in the shop tomorrow if you need me.
Paul