new owner, need advice

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakagirl

new owner, need advice

Post by hodakagirl »

Looking for some opinions today! I'm new to the forum and just got my first Hodaka, a 1969 Ace 100. This is my first motorcycle and I only have experience with vintage 2-stroke scooters. My intention is to ride it next spring or summer. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I'm mechanically inclined and a quick learner. I will probably have really simple (hopefully not stupid) questions for you all so I hope you can bear with me while I'm figuring this out.

I'm trying to decide how to start out with this project. The bike is not running but it looks mostly complete. I'm tracking down a carburetor with Bruce's help (thanks, Bruce!) and at minimum I'll need to de-rust a tank, replace cables, get a battery, and replace fuel lines before I can attempt to get it running. It obviously needs new seat foam and a seat cover. I was initially planning to strip it all down, powder coat the frame, clean up chrome parts, etc. But I really like the 'original' look of it, too, so now I'm torn. I thought I would ask you all some advice. What would you do?? Get it running and keep it original? Or strip it all down and make it nice?
Attachments
FLOWERPOWER - hodaka 2.jpg
FLOWERPOWER - hodaka 1.jpg
thrownchain

Re: new owner, need advice

Post by thrownchain »

Welcome to the "group". First what area of the country are you in? Maybe there are others in your area that can help you out. As to the repair / restoration of your bike, it's only original once, that being said the more you need to fix the farther from original it gets. Then again how much resto are you looking to do? A museum quality build or just a good reliable rider? And lastly how much are you willing to spend? You'd be surprised how fast it all adds up.....
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Sweet ride! I would vote for a mechanical restoration only and leave the patina. A bike has to be around for 50 years to look that cool. Other than the service items you mentioned, I would suggest a complete motor overhaul and fork rebuild. I'm guessing it is a very low miles bike, so the internal engine and transmission components may be in great shape. New seals and bearings are in order though. Once overhauled and with proper routine maintenance, that engine is practically bullet proof. The best money you can spend for your new bike is the factory-published "Official Hodaka Workshop Manual". Get one. A great resource for the motor work is "Hodaka Dave" Rozier. He has done really top notch work for me and at a great price. He's a great guy to boot. Good luck, enjoy, and welcome to the fold. Also, this forum is frequented by the most helpful and friendly people you'll ever hope to know. They've helped me more times than I can count. Most important - have fun!!
Bert44

Post by Bert44 »

I've just finished a close to con cours rebuild of my 1968 Ace 100. Given the amount of chrome and expense of parts, they are unbelievably expensive to rebuild unless that's what you've set your heart on.
If you want a regular ride then new seat foam and cover plus reliable engine is the way to go considering your bike does have that great patina. Good luck.
Bert
1968 Ace 100
94 & 94A Wombat
hodakagirl

Post by hodakagirl »

Thank you! thrownchain, I totally get that 'it's only original once'. Previous owner painted the cowls and fender on my vintage Vespa and I wish they hadn't done that. I'm not looking at museum quality restoration, mainly because my plan is to ride it. I'm in eastern Washington, and I know there has to be people near here who probably know a thing or two about these, cuz I'm only about 80 miles from Athena, OR ;) I don't really have a budget in mind and would like to do as much as I can myself, if possible.

Matt, the bike has 2531 miles on the odometer and looks like it was last registered in 1975 if this is the original plate, which I think it probably is. The tank was rusted out underneath and there was a rope caught up in the chain/front sprocket, but I was able to get it out. It's pretty dirty/greasy. What's the best way to clean all that off? The chain is pretty caked up in greasy gunk. Most of the chrome is pretty good, not a lot of rust, but some of it isn't super smooth, either. Chrome on the fenders and wheels looks great, and I may have a decent replacement fuel tank. I've been looking for the workshop manual online, haven't found one yet. I do have the Chilton's motorcycle troubleshooting guide from 1973, lol. What is involved in a fork rebuild?

Bert44, I definitely want to ride it, and don't want to ride around on a museum piece. I'd be so disappointed if I made it all fancy and then crashed it. I think you guys have helped me make up my mind about the resto/rebuild! I have to admit, I was already leaning toward keeping the patina.

Thank you for your feedback, everyone. This should be fun!
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

If you need to touch up the red a bit in spots, Duplicolor DE 1605 Ford Red Engine Enamel Is a really, really close match. I used it on my 71 B+ and under the tank where it was least faded it matched well.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
"You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape . . ."
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hey Hodaka girl, there just is no replacement for the original Workshop Manual and it will save you significant anguish and time - its so well written. You might try removing the chain from the bike and soaking it in a bucket full of parts washer solvent for a few days then taking a good and stiff bristle brush to it along with a good measure of elbow grease. That will clear the way for good inspection and wear assessment of both the chain and sprockets. For the metal work I prefer Semichrome polish from competition chemicals. It polishes well and leaves a protective film. All of our go-to Hodaka parts houses should be able to hook you up with a workshop manual. The nominal price up front will be repaid almost immediately when you begin to appreciate how helpful it is. Its good enough to make a hack like me seem to be a real wrench - not an easy task. How cool it is that you are in the back yard of the center of the Hodaka universe!!
hodakagirl

Post by hodakagirl »

matt glascock wrote:Hey Hodaka girl, there just is no replacement for the original Workshop Manual and it will save you significant anguish and time - its so well written. You might try removing the chain from the bike and soaking it in a bucket full of parts washer solvent for a few days then taking a good and stiff bristle brush to it along with a good measure of elbow grease. That will clear the way for good inspection and wear assessment of both the chain and sprockets. For the metal work I prefer Semichrome polish from competition chemicals. It polishes well and leaves a protective film. All of our go-to Hodaka parts houses should be able to hook you up with a workshop manual. The nominal price up front will be repaid almost immediately when you begin to appreciate how helpful it is. Its good enough to make a hack like me seem to be a real wrench - not an easy task. How cool it is that you are in the back yard of the center of the Hodaka universe!!
I know, right?? Who knew. I wanted a Hodaka cuz I like the shiny tank and old 2-strokes are pretty simple. I had no idea there was a Hodaka Mecca nearby!

I can't seem to find the master link in the chain, lol. I guess I'll spray it down with some wd-40 and take a stiff brush to each link until I find it. I'll get on finding that workshop manual.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

With any luck, all that caked on grease may have preserved the chain :-). You'll have to check out Hodaka Days in Athena next summer. Last weekend in June me thinks. I'm hoping to go myself. By all reports, its a blast.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Invest in a new chain, no-brainer there, and new sprockets if you need 'em. Also check that the tires aren't age checked, any cracks in the side walls is a no no. And if you are doing tires, check and Lube the brake pivots. And by all means make Hodaka Days a must do next year. You're close eunff it would be a shame to miss it. You'll have a good time, and if the bike is running you could partake in the poker run on Thurs. And the parade... and meet lots of fun folks.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Dan gives good advice. The chain is a wear item and like the rest, should likely be replaced. I was mentioning trying to salvage if you are on a tight budget - especially since the wise mechanic changes chain AND sprockets at the same time. With the low mileage of your bike some may argue that the sprockets are still serviceable but I still believe prudence suggests the advisability of changing chain and sprockets as a system so that they can run in together and thus provide maximal service life and dependability.
hodakagirl

Post by hodakagirl »

thrownchain wrote:Invest in a new chain, no-brainer there, and new sprockets if you need 'em. Also check that the tires aren't age checked, any cracks in the side walls is a no no. And if you are doing tires, check and Lube the brake pivots. And by all means make Hodaka Days a must do next year. You're close eunff it would be a shame to miss it. You'll have a good time, and if the bike is running you could partake in the poker run on Thurs. And the parade... and meet lots of fun folks.
Yes, I think I will definitely replace the chain, tires, and any other bits that might be iffy after 40+ years of sitting in a barn. My budget isn't extremely tight and I'm all about safety. But I will keep them because they're original ❤

"If it's running" you say? We can't talk like that! I have all winter and all spring to get it running! And I have experts available, amiright?? I would not miss Hodaka Days, even if there's a scooter rally the same weekend, lol.
hodakagirl

Post by hodakagirl »

Btw, found an Ace 100 workshop manual on eBay but it's $76. Think I will keep looking.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Hey Hodakagirl, and Welcome to the forum! Looks like you’ve made a great find! Good luck with her!

From one picture it appears that your front fender is bent upwards. Is that the case or is it just an illusion from the angle of the photo? If it is bent upward, I have a fender like that I can send you for the cost of postage. My Ace is a 1971 B+ and it doesn’t use that type of front fender. So I have it just laying around in a box. If you need it, it’s yours! I believe in paying it forward! :D

Matt is right about having a manual. The early ones are great,& I found one that has the add ons for the newer Aces as well! Get one as soon as you can! I found the one below on eBay. $40 shipped is a really good price so jump on it! It has a Buy It Now option so I’d jump on it!

Good luck with your new to you baby! And join the Hodaka Club on line too! :ugeek: Victor

https://m.ebay.com/itm/HODAKA-ACE-90-10 ... Ciid%253A1

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Even the best laid plans can go off the rails. Guys have all year to get the bikes ready for Hodaka Days and a few don't make the events, and if they do some don't finish. But a positive attitude is good. Tires, brakes, lights and cables are all safety items. Only use them if they're good. Get the motor freshened up, new bearings, gaskets and seals are a must for longevity of the motor. And it gives you a chance to see the condition of the internals, and maybe upgrade some in the process.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

If you get that manual, run down to Walmart and get a 3 ring binder to keep it in.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I did this one in a little over 6 weeks! But, am retired too! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
DC47A1E8-D0F2-450A-9EDC-8B589AA99E03.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

When you come to Hodaka Days, bring the Vespa, we accept and admire all bikes and riders.
hodakagirl

Post by hodakagirl »

Nice one, Victor! That looks beautiful. Is the manual you posted a link to the right one for the 1969 Ace? Maybe my search was too specific. I think my fender looks just like most of the other pics I've seen of the Ace. It looks a lot higher than it should be in the front. I heard it's supposed to be that way and in most pics I've seen, that appears to be true. It looks a little ridiculous and I'm not sure what purpose it would serve to be higher in the front. It doesn't appear to be bent at all and the chrome seems nice. I really appreciate the offer and I will let you know if I need a fender.

Thrownchain - Okay maybe I'm a little optimistic about having it done by spring. After all, I am not retired and I have kids to deal with. And other hobbies. And grocery shopping and laundry and stuff like that. This is my first try at this but the way I figure, I have at least 34 weekends to dedicate to it, not counting holidays. I'll probably try to get it running first. I'll see about tracking down a manual asap. Meanwhile I can clean out the tank I have and order cables, battery, new fuel lines, and find a carburetor. If anyone has a line on replacement seat foam and seat cover, lemme know!

Oh, here is my Vespa - it's a '74 Super. American specs, so that's why it has the goofy turn signals :P I've since replaced the seat with a single saddle, which is what it originally came with.
Attachments
IMG_20170529_094519.jpg
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

I agree with Matt, leave it as is. Replace what needs to be replaced, mostly rubber stuff and I would even try to find a used seat cover to go with the current patina. You have a nice bike as is.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Great idea from Kelly. He builds awesome bikes and has an eye for these things. If you can find a used seat cover that matches the patina, you're set. I recall from somewhere or someone that a kit was available through PABATCO that allowed for a higher mounting position for the front fender for folks interested in more off-road action. Hopefully we'll hear from one of the pros on that score. If so, that just might be a little bonus jewel for you. Dig the Vespa. My niece had one just like it only pink - thus the handle "Pink Lightening". Stolen off one of the mean streets of Boston :-(.
hodakagirl

Post by hodakagirl »

Thanks for your input, socalhodaka. Confirms I am on the right track. Not sure how easy a decent 48 year old seat cover would be to come by, so I hadn't thought about that possibility. I'll look into that! I do love original stuff.

Hey, whereabouts in SoCal are you? I'll be down in San Diego next month. My son will be graduating from boot camp and will be a United States Marine! 3 1/2 weeks to go :)
hodakagirl

Post by hodakagirl »

Victor - I totally see the bend you were talking about now. It might be a tiny bit bent there ... I can see little dimples in the sides of the fender. It's bent just a tiny bit down, not up like I thought you meant. Good eye!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Well if you decide you want it, let me know! I’ll be happy to send it to you! You can email me your address by tapping on my name at the top of the post! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Yes the link I sent you IS for the correct manual. Jump on it quick! It won’t last long!!! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90