Model 93 rear shocks

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
efkruger

Model 93 rear shocks

Post by efkruger »

Westtek Manufacturing sells some replacement shock absorbers for Hodaka's. They look like the Road Toad shock. I am doing a resto on two 93 super rats and needed new shocks for them. I bought several pair of the Westtek shocks. Then I removed the old 93 springs and sent them off to be rechromed at SaltLake chrome. Then I removed the Westtek springs from their shock and put them away. I did not want to use the Westtek upper eyelet because it is not correct for a 93. If you compare the two eyelets the westtek is smaller in diameter where the spring makes contact with it. Also the Westtek spring is wound to a smaller diameter where it contacts the eyelet. Then I got the old 93 eyelest and repolished them up on my polishing bench. Then the plastic sleeve that was on the old 93 shocks were bead blasted and cleaned up nicely also. Then I have reassembled the rechromed springs and old 93 eyelet onto the Westtek shock body and now I have a shock that is 98% original to a super rat shock.
They look really nice and original at the same time. Take a look. Zoom up on that beauty
Attachments
shock.jpg
Last edited by efkruger on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
efkruger

Re: Model 93 rear shocks

Post by efkruger »

That pic above is the finished Westtek shock with the original 93 rechromed spring, polished eyelet, and plastic sleeve installed onto the Westtek shock body. About 98% original looking.
Last edited by efkruger on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

The pic below shows the Westtek shock ( on bottom) along side the old 93 shock. Note the difference in how the springs are wound differently and also how the eyelet and top of the spring on the Westtek shock are smaller in diameter than on the original 93 shock. Also the plastic sleeve is black on the Westtek but grey on the original 93 shock.
Attachments
springs.jpg
Last edited by efkruger on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Here is the old eyelet getting a repolish on my polishing bench. The eyelet is an aluminum casting so it will polish mirror bright and will not rust.
Attachments
eyelet polish.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Here is a pic comparing the two eyelets. The smaller one is the Westtek eyelet. The bigger one is the old 93 eyelet before being polished.
Attachments
eyelet.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Now for a 100% percent original shock all I need to do is have the original tensioners rechromed and use them instead of staying with the Westtek tensioners. That's the only difference now. Note the spring tensioner on the Westtek shock and compare it to the old 93 tensioner beside it. Just some slight difference. Thanks Gentlemen
Attachments
adjuster.jpg
Last edited by efkruger on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Have you seen the shocks that Jamie Mcadams sells ?

Rich
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

That's what these are. I bought them from Jamie McAdams at Hodaka days time before last. His company is Westtek Manufacturing I believe. At least that's what I put in my records concerning these shocks anyway. He told me he gets them made in Taiwan. They seem to be nice shocks. They certainly look nice and I was glad to get them. I believe the original shocks would be extremely difficult to rebuild. They appear to be permanently sealed by crimping the tube on after they were assembled. I will have to check with Kevin Williams at Salt Lake chrome if he could rechrome them assembled. But I doubt it.Thanks Guys
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Yes, what I said previously is correct, Westtek Manufacturing is Jamie McAdams's company. Check out his website and see his Hodaka products he manufactures. Some pretty good stuff. Of course the shocks being one of them. Thanks gentlemen
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill