Wheel Bearings

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
efkruger

Wheel Bearings

Post by efkruger »

On my 93B rear wheel hub there are two open bearings and one shielded and or sealed bearing normally used in this application. When you order a rear wheel rebuild kit that is what you get. I have been thinking, is there any reason why all the bearings could not be sealed and or shielded?
I have not been able to think of any reason why this would not be better. All the bearings would be protected from dirt and water more effectively it would seem to me.
I would like to hear what some of my brothers in Hodaka would have to say about this. Some of you guys are very knowledgeable and talented.
The reason I am asking about this is because I acquired some bearings that have seals and or shields on them all ready. I know I can remove them but if they will work fine sealed I will just leave them. Thanks Gentlemen
thrownchain

Re: Wheel Bearings

Post by thrownchain »

Use the sealed ones. A friend of mine who builds race bikes removes one of the rubber seals and packs the bearings with more grease then reinstalls the seal. You might be surprised how little grease is in some sealed bearings.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Seals facing the elements as in wheel bearings are probably a good idea. It depends on the application which bearings need seals. In a crankshaft or transmission application the designers have chosen which method of lubrication suits the situation best. Crankshaft and transmission bearings aren't sealed because they get better lubrication and cooling from the surrounding transmission or fuel added lubricants. Temperature/cooling could be a factor in whether a bearing is sealed. Seals are also good for keeping lubricant in as well as dirt out. It's all in how the bearing is to be used. Hope this helps! :)

Max's opinion.
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

remove both of the rubber seals...pack with grease...put them in your wife's vacuum sealer if she has one..the vacuum sealer will pack the bearings with the grease...put the rubber seal back on and install
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

I never tried using a vacuum bagger to grease bearings. I suppose it might be interesting, if messy, but isn't necessary if you are practiced in hand packing bearings.

The point of sealed bearings not having adequate grease is exactly right. I would never install a sealed wheel bearing in a Hodaka without hand greasing that bearing.

On a street bike, they are fine. On a dirt bike they are not fine because they do leak water but you can't see it. If you ride where you cross creeks or deep water, you will need to service your bearings after the days run. You can't do that with sealed bearings. If your dirt bike never gets wet, it's up to you.
Hydraulic Jack
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

It wouldn't hurt to pack 'em no matter what the end use will be.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

IMO it depends on the end use. A show bike or a bike ridden a couple thousand street miles a year would get good service from sealed bearings. Higher loadings or higher speed or severe environments would need better lubrication. Pack, clean, and repack.

One tool for my Beemer is a bearing greaser. It permits the wheel bearings to be regreased without disassembly of the stack. Injects fresh grease in behind the brng and forces old or wet grease out the grease seal. Available from Cycle Works .net for the big tapered roller bearings used on Beemers. I plan to make a couple of these greasers for the smaller 6201/6202 bearings on the Hodaka. It would be good to be able to easily flush out the water-contaminated grease.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

I think what I will do is remove the inner shields and pack the bearing and the space between the bearings with grease. I will leave the outer shields on to protect them and that should work well I think.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Just my experience. I raced in about 75 cross country and motocross events in several states up to 1972. Most every cross country races had creeks snow mud and water. I never serviced the bearings but probably every 10 races or twice a year. I only use quality bearings. I can see a race team with a person maintaining the bikes doing a complete check. I would ride the Badrock 10 times or more, without worrying about my bearings. -----------------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Ball bearings. Quite the invention after the wheel. I've always been amazed at how durable and inexpensive they are. Even Clarence couldn't tear them up. They really are low maintenance and usually only fail because of dirt and/or lack of lubrication. During WWII ball bearing factories were principle targets as they were in most if not all war machines like Clarences. Just my thoughts on ball bearings today. :roll:

Maxie

PS--I'm trying to imagine Clarence and I being very fast while racing bushing machines. :?
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

And the hodaka manual answer is. Generally speaking, the bearings should be repacked every 2,500 miles if the machine is used for competition, every 5,000 miles if used off road and every 7,500 miles if used for road riding. seals should be replaced whenever wheel, bearings are repacked. ------------Clarence