Clutch issues seem cleared up .....

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Alberta Mike

Clutch issues seem cleared up .....

Post by Alberta Mike »

I took the Road Toad out for a little illegal ride around the block yesterday, I probably won't register or insure it this year, time is running out a bit in the north country. I had the slipping clutch issue ..... there were four .020 shims in place, I removed two of them and put in a single 0.010 (so I removed 0.030 total) and that seems to work quite well. I kept the original cover gasket in place and used 30W non-detergent oil which was easy to find locally. I definitely have slack at the engine case clutch lever (maybe 3/16") and now my clutch starts grabbing when the hand lever is released about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from full pull against the left hand grip and it is fully engaged well before full release. I've weaned the fuel system onto the oil injector pump (no more pre-mix) and am using Castrol 2-stroke motorcycle oil, also easy to find close to home. I know that wasn't much of a test run but I don't need any legal issues messing up my new hobby.

Thanks to all the posts and replies here to help me with this, I have an owners manual but no shop manual (which I will eventually hunt down). I am amazed at the power and snap this little bike has, it really jumps when you give it a good throttle twist. Plus, for a small 100cc bike, it is much larger in overall size and height than one would think when thinking of 100cc motorcycles.

By the way, do the original factory Toads have just a single, left-side mirror?
Bill2001

Re: Clutch issues seem cleared up .....

Post by Bill2001 »

Get the shop manual from Strictly Hodaka. Better than dealing with the jungle of eBay.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Hydraulic Jack

Re: Clutch issues seem cleared up .....

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Parts list shows one mirror, round, left side.
Hydraulic Jack