Shifter Grease - How Much and Type?? Model 98

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JackM

Shifter Grease - How Much and Type?? Model 98

Post by JackM »

After painting the bottom end, I'm ready to put the side cases back on. I had cleaned out all of the old grease around the shifter mechanism, but don't know what type or how much new grease to put back in. Neither the Clymer or owners manual says anything about it, only bits and pieces that I've picked up by reading through these forums. Thanks. JackM
viclioce

Re: Shifter Grease - How Much and Type?? Model 98

Post by viclioce »

I use a good moly grease! The more the better! :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
JackM

Post by JackM »

I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease for a lot of things. Would that work, and to what level? It is a messy job, cleaning the old grease out. I just want to make sure I get the right amount back in. Another messy job.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Some folks pack in all that will go. I don't. The grease is there to lubricate the mechanism, not exclude water or dirt. On a dirt bike, servicing the shifter case is regular maintenance, but removing a half pound of grease is impossible without solvent and lots of time. Use good grease, but consider it a short term lubricant, and clean it often throughout the year, especially after water crossings or between races. On a street bike, it can easily go all year on a dab of lube, or shoot a stoke or two with a grease gun into the nipple every six months. You can always take the small cover off and take a peek. If it looks grodie, clean it and re-grease. Packing the case full of grease will not make it shift better, and just makes a mess.
Hydraulic Jack
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Packing the shifter cavity with grease is only recommended for those involved with riding in extreme coditions - such as what might be found during a wet Enduro or cross country event. Or for extreme trail riders. Though some do use the technique when racing mx on severe mud tracks. If that sort of use is in your plans, then use a"heavy" water-proof (resistant?) grease - and pack the cavity full to just below the control shaft location. I used the technique when competing in ISDT Qualifier events in the 1970's - which often involved 170-200 miles a day for two days in EXTREME conditions. I still pack the shifter cavity with grease on my custom Observed Trials bike. Severe mud conditions are sometimes encountered in Trials events. As mentioned, the technique is very messy with little or no benefit for a road machine or occasional, fair-weather trail rider.
Keep the rubber side down!