Clutch & side cover question.

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SuperRat01

Clutch & side cover question.

Post by SuperRat01 »

Hey guys, when I attempt to put the clutch side cover on, it's like the "clutch pressure piece" sticks out to far which causes the clutch lever on the front of the cover to go down, and once the screws are tightened on the case it's about impossible to lift the clutch lever up. Is this normal? I don't have enough experience with this to know if this is right or not. Does anyone follow me, because I think that I lost myself. Thanks, Linc
spudman

Re: Clutch & side cover question.

Post by spudman »

Hey Linc. I just put my cover on a few days ago, so I may be able to help. Once I had my cover screwed down, I too could barely lift the lever on the outside of the clutch case cover. Once I connected the cable to both this lever and the one up on the bars though, I had no problem pulling in the lever and raising that lower lever whatsoever. I chalked it up to the theory of leverage. :) All I needed to do then was set the clutch lever free play per the manual's specs by using the adjusters on either end of the cable. Hope this helps!
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

You must have free play on the side cover lever when screwed down . If not remove shims from between the release bearing and the clutch itself until you have about 1/8 inch . As the clutch plates wear that clearance will lessen and more shims will have to be removed as time goes on. With out free play the clutch will not have full clamping pressure and the clutch will slip.

Rich
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Ok fellers, I will try these things. But, how about the clutch itself, should the screws be tightened all the way down before safety wiring them or should they be backed off a little?
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Screws should be tight, the wire is to keep them from backing off .
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Hey SuperRat01, I'm just down the street from you (well almost) at SR52, just east of the Suncoast. If you need assistance on anything, let me know.

David Barr AKA: DirtyRat
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Thanks David, I appreciate that. Without this forum, I would just trudge my way thru this restore. The experience everyone has to share is invaluable. Linc