Replacement hand grip question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
spudman

Replacement hand grip question

Post by spudman »

OK...so I can't believe that I actually have to post this question, but I spent over an hour online last night trying to find the answer on a multitude of websites and was unsuccessful everywhere I looked! I need to replace the hand grips on my model 99 Road Toad. I peeled each one back far enough to measure the diameter and found that the bar on the left side is 7/8" and the throttle tube on the right is 1". My question is, when you order a "set" of grips from a manufacturer like Renthal or ProGrip and they indicate they're for "7/8" bars", does this mean that the right grip will stretch enough to fit over the throttle tube that is 1/8" larger that the bar on the left side? Seriously...there was not a single hand grip description anywhere that made mention of this. If I was lucky, the "specs" section would show the overall length of the grip, but that was about it. I'm even more curious because the schematic here on Strictly Hodaka shows two different part numbers for the grips! Any help that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Replacement hand grip question

Post by Bullfrog »

You should be good to go simply ordering a set of MOTORCYCLE grips for 7/8" bars - cuz all bikes with 7/8" bars have a throttle which is 1" dia. -- so the grip sets are put together to provide for that.
Ed
PS: The emphasis on MOTORCYCLE is purposeful. If you order bicycle grips, they will be the same size for the right and the left side.
Keep the rubber side down!
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

All modern replacement grip sets for 7/8" bars have the slightly larger inner diam grip in the set for the throttle tube. The only place this might have been a problem is if you had a thumb throttle like a ATC.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I have found that a "set" of grips purchased for 7/8 bars, do come with one for the 7/8 bar on the left and a larger one for the throttle tube on the right. This is for Hodaka sites and for after market.
Dale
spudman

Post by spudman »

Thanks people! That's exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the help.