Road Toad tire tube question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
spudman

Road Toad tire tube question

Post by spudman »

Hello folks -
Just picked up a '75 Road Toad last week and I'm in the process of getting everything "road ready". I'm going to be replacing the tires and tubes and was wondering if anyone knows if I need to order inner tubes with the TR-4 or TR-6 valve stem. My understanding is that the difference lies in the shape of the rubber base of the stem where it sits inside of the rim; the TR4 is round and the TR6 is oval. If anyone has a tube laying around from one of their bikes and can give me an answer, I'd really appreciate it as I'd like to order my tires and tubes this evening if possible. Thanks in advance for any help and information!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Road Toad tire tube question

Post by Bullfrog »

Whaaaaat? You can't just say, "I need a 3.00X21 inner tube any more?" Go figure.

All of the standard Hodaka rims have round holes for the valve stem . . . so that suggests you need the TR4.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
spudman

Post by spudman »

Yeah....I know....everything is complicated these days! It's not the valve stem itself that is either round or oval, but rather the base of it....where it attaches to the tube. I'll try and attach a photo showing the difference.
I went ahead and ordered the TR4 tubes as they seemed to be the "norm" in the industry. I'm hoping the norm from 1975 wasn't something different!
Attachments
valve stem types.jpg
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Fear not. Either TR-4 or TR-6 will work quite nicely.
Ivan AKA "Pop"
spudman

Post by spudman »

Yep....the TR4 tubes worked perfectly. Thanks!