Two Different Kinds of 22T Gears?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
DesertRat54

Two Different Kinds of 22T Gears?

Post by DesertRat54 »

I've got 2 types of 22-teeth counter shaft gears. One is thinner, and has a smaller circumference that the other. However, both have "97A" stamped on them. Does the "97A" have anything to do with the Super Combat? In any case, I don't get why both would have the same stamp on them if they don't have the same dimensions. Is one of them 4th gear for the Wombat/Combat Wombat while the other is 4th gear for the Super Combat? Is one of them (the thicker one?), by any chance, for the 03 Wombat?
Thanks.
Bill in Virginia

"A man must know his limitations."
dcooke007

Re: Two Different Kinds of 22T Gears?

Post by dcooke007 »

97A stamped on the gear is a definite indication of the hardened 4th gear for the super combat. Curiously the 03 Wombat 4th gear is 22 teeth also. I have an 03 and have worked on many of those engines. I have never looked for any markings on the 03 gears. I have a super combat 4th gear on my desk and the gear teeth measure roughly 7/16 inch wide not including the shoulder. The od is 1 & 7/8 inch.

Danny
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Problem is that while several of the later bikes used a 22T fourth gear, they were all gear module 2.0, and should be dimensionally the same. The model 92 Dirt Squirt used a 22T fourth, but the specifications are not posted on the website, so I doubt know what module was used for the gears. Thinner and smaller in diameter relates to the smaller gear module, i.e., 1.75 as used in most of the earlier transmissions. I would not expect the gears to have a number on them that relays to the Hodaka model used to identify the complete machine. For example, the model 98 uses the same transmission parts as the 97, same part number, but I would have to doubt they are marked with a 98. I would think the number is a casting reference, not a part number.
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

The 97A stamping is an absolute indication of its identity. It indicates the hardened version of the 97 series gears for the model 97 and 98 Hodaka's. The only confusing part is the two 22 tooth gears with the 97A stamping and different dimensions. Hodaka factory hardened gears were developed for 3rd, 4th and 5th gears along with a cushioned primary gear and hardened main shaft that was also stamped 97A.
DSCN1632[1].JPG
DSCN1633[1].JPG
Danny
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I don't "get" that one. There should only be ONE size of 97A twenty-two tooth gears.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is only one size for the (97A) 22 tooth gears. Really busy day here today but Bill are you sure both gears are stamped "97A" and are 22 teeth.
There were two different gear sets for the (03) Wombat and some gears were stamped. I cannot find them this morning but they were stamped.
Paul
DesertRat54

Post by DesertRat54 »

Thanks Danny, Ed and Paul, for your responses. I've been busy here, so haven't had time to return to this post until now. Paul, you're right--my count was wrong (sorry about that). I have three 97A gears: 21T, 22T, and 24T. Cool.

I do have one other question, though: I'm presently looking at another 22T gear that is not stamped. The width is the same as the hardened gear (about 11.9mm), but the diameter is smaller than the hardened gear: I get about 47.77mm diameter. when the 22T hardened gear is about 49mm in diameter. Would this be a stock Wombat 4th gear? Upon closer examination, I see that the entire design of the 97A 22T gear appears to be quite a bit more robust than the non-hardened one. Of course, this makes total sense.

I've also noticed that the 175 and the 250SL both utilize hardened gear sets (some interchangeable with the late Rat and Super Combat?), but the 250ED doesn't. This seems odd, seeing as the 250 ED was built for competition.
Bill in Virginia

dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Hey Bill,
The 97 super combat and 98 model super rat gears all measure the same regardless of hardened or non hardened. I don't know what the other 22 tooth gear you have fits as several model use 22 teeth gears...sorry. Those hardened gears are a good find though.

Danny
DesertRat54

Post by DesertRat54 »

Looking over Bill Chapman's compatibility chart, I see that a non-hardened (non-stamped) 22T gear was used in the chrome-tanked Dirt Squirt (M96), and the Combat Wombat (M95) in addition to both of the early Wombats (94 and 94A). I'm thinking that this is that "other" gear that I have. I THINK I can infer from Paul's post, that the 22T gear for the 03 is different, since it has a different part number (034605), and may or may not be stamped. This starts to get a little confusing for my pea brain, but I it looks like there were four types of 22T gears if one refers to the part numbers: one for the M97 and M98 (hardened), one for the M94, M94A, M95 and M96 (non-hardened), one for the 03 Wombat (both hardened and non-hardened?), and one for the M61, M70 and M70A (hardened).

All of this is probably (and understandably) too tedious for most readers of this thread. However, I'm looking at a box full of random gears, they're all quite usable, and none (except for the hardened gears) have identifying numbers. I can count teeth, and measure width and diameter, which will tell me most of what I need to know. Still, it'd be a bit of a shame to build a motor, only to put the wrong fourth gear in it.

Thanks again, Danny, for your input.
Bill in Virginia