Washougal VMX

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
browner1

Washougal VMX

Post by browner1 »

I am wondering if any members Are planning on riding this event in two weeks or have previously ridden in it? Is the track as advertised? Any good hotels close by? I have always wanted to see the track and maybe this is the year!
JayLael

Re: Washougal VMX

Post by JayLael »

I will be racing the Wolverine 125 on Saturday only. The track is mostly on a slightly rolling field. No big uphills or downhills, just nice bermed corners and bumpy straightaways etc. Last race there were two Hodakas in 125 the Jim Pomeroy Memorial 125 cc challenge race, which was held July 18th at Tieton (Pronounced Titan) Washington, near Yakima. There were ten riders and Jim's Canadian 250 national championship trophy was up for grabs, albeit a travelling trophy so you just get your name on it, but don't get to keep it. It was won by Kevin Spencer on the Yamaico. I was second, Scott Wallenberg was third on the trickest Monark I've ever seen. Come on out!
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Just thought I'd pass along a few photos from the wonderful Northwest Challenge VMX at Washougal this past weekend. Loved it! Finished 3rd in the combined race on the National track against 250s and open bikes. The 125 Wolverine even passed a 250 Elsinore at the top of horsepower hill!
Attachments
JayWashougal2015byBrianBarnes.jpg
Jaywashougal2015byTharynRichards.jpg
Jaywashougal2015byMarkHector.jpg
Happy to have clean goggles after moto 1.
Happy to have clean goggles after moto 1.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Nice job putting Hodaka on the podium!

That track looks like fun.

Brian

P.S. Can you give us any details on what mods have done to your motor to pass a CR250?
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Brian: This bike has the case port in the center, which joins the inlet tract, and enlarged transfer passages, and a host of other cylinder porting mods, including three vane air flow separators, (front and back) installed in a 38mm round slide Mikuni, with a UFO device in the slide. It's breathing through a genuine 1976/77 Honda CR 125 airbox with the mud snorkel installed. The mud snorkel it's self is good for incredible power and response gains. You can tell when you take it off, that it's just not as fast) The Harry Taylor type 3 pipe with my own personally made silencer, and a specially modified (by Hodaka Ron Liddle) 03 wombat head are also part of the picture. The intake manifold is the massive billet unit made by Rich Gagnon and it uses an enormous V force reed. Rich Gagnon was trained by Harry Taylor, and has years of experience and incredible expertise. The fact that this bike is so impressive are mostly because of Rich!
The bike runs a 430 main jet and 50 pilot. It uses ethanol free pump premium, mixed at 32:1 with red line 2 stroke oil. It has a Hodaka Super Combat ignition, and is set at 2.4 mm btdc. It uses a ART 30 over Hodaka piston with a dykes ring, and slightly enlarged center victory port hole. One critical part of this is the gearing. It has 14/66 gearing, through a model 97 transmission assembly. When you shift it while wide open, the engine hardly even changes tone. It gets shifted quite a bit. ;) If the bike is geared taller, you will have a harder time keeping it in the Oh My God zone, which is where it likes to be. That's where having a good clutch becomes pretty important.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Jay, this is all quite interesting. Do you have any engine pictures that we could see or is it Top Secret? 8-)

Max
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Some of the work Rich did.
Attachments
100_3336.JPG
casejob.JPG
100_3327-1.JPG
100_3328-1.JPG
cylinderporting1.JPG
hodakamax