what tank?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
budpat105

what tank?

Post by budpat105 »

Just got my first Hodaka since 1973, model 95 Combat wombat.Not wanting a perfect bike but a good rider. The tank on it had no petcocks, bought a set of new petcocks and went out to clean out the tank. Put some white vinegar in it, tank leaked. Bought a tank of ebay, some more rust and no cap. So here is my question and I really respect your thoughts on this. Should I just give up on the metal tanks and go plastic. Will I need to re-clean this tank all the time? May only ride 6 or so times a year.Kinda wish I hadn't bought everything, got enough in them to go plastic but love the chrome look. Lets hear you! Man I can't wait to crank this machine up!Thanks
Dale

Re: what tank?

Post by Dale »

If the outside surface is good and you just have rust, then a good rust removal should work. Vinegar works for very light surface rust, but my experience has been better with an actual rust remover. I use Evaporust. There are other brands as well. Very safe to use and to handle as well. Once the rust is removed, fill immediately with premix and then keep it full. The rust should not return.

The Combat Wombat tanks are tough to find and worth the effort to repair in my opinion.

Where is your original tank leaking? Again, if the chrome looks good, I would repair it too.
Dale
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I had the same problem on my 94 Wombat. Tank sealers seem to work quite well if done correctly. the one I used was Caswell. They have a web site that explains their product. It worked as advertised. The gang has tried some others with mixed results and I'm sure they will have their recommendations. What I liked about the Caswell product is that it adhered to the rust and put a nice clear coating(about 1/8" thick) inside the tank. Mine was so bad in the tunnel that I first put a layer on the outside of the tunnel re-enforced with a fine weave fiberglass cloth followed the next day by the interior application. All went well and is holding up good so far. Anyway, my experience, time will tell of course. (My chrome tank does look good!)

Hope this helps-- :)

Max

PS--and as Dale says, clean and patch if possible but mine had many pinholes.
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

I would agree with Dale in repairing a CW tank. Like my chrome Super Rat tank, they are rare enough to be worthwhile to repair.

If it were me, I would locate all the holes and solder them up using a silver solder then use a rust treatment of your choice to clean out the inside. (solder the holes first so you don't leak rust treatment). If more holes manifest, solder them up too. If you can do this, you now have a tank for a Rider that can be re-chromed later. Silver-bearing solder does not dissolve in the Acid wash when prepping for chrome plating. The other option would be to braze the holes... but you've got to be very careful with that method because it's too easy to burn through and then you end up chasing holes...

Sounds difficult, I know, but a CW tank would probably be worth it. If you aren't comfortable attempting the repair, a local welder might be able to do it for a reasonable fee and you could make it easier on him and possibly more willing to do it, if you located all the holes first.

My opinion the matter is that I try to be more forward thinking when dealing with old, difficult to impossible to replace parts and try not to make repairs that eliminate the possibility of a complete restoration at some later time, unless it's obviously unrestorable. ;-)

$0.02

Roger
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I'm with Dale and Roger. Quoting Roger, I think my tank fell into the "Obviously unrestorable" category. I had given up on mine but it turned out quite functional and still looks good. Chrome tanks ARE the defining symbol of Hodaka!

Maxie

PS--funny story, Last year at the ISDTRR in Oklahoma I had a "heavy crash". As I was laying in a daze the first thing I did was reach out and feel my previously un-dented tank. Thank goodness it was OK and I felt better immediately! Whew! :lol:
budpat105

Post by budpat105 »

You guys are great, I'm inspired-going for the chrome. Thanks ( I'm going to do both tanks!)
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

One of the things I use to clean the rust out of tanks is ball bearings or copper BB's. A little bit of gas in the tank with bearings or BB's in place, the petcock closed and the gas cap on, then shake the tank and let the bearings or BB's knock the rust loose.

You can also pour some naval jelly into the tank, let it cost the inside and then let it sit for an hour, occasionally rolling the tank around again to keep coating the inside. The naval jelly can be rinsed out with water and then with the petcock and gas cap off, use a compressor to blow it dry inside. Always use an inline fuel filter after having treated a tank in this mannor. It will prevent small particles from making it into your carb! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90