Sprocket sizes

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
tahoethumper

Sprocket sizes

Post by tahoethumper »

Hello all, I'm just trying to complete a few more final things on my Super Rat project, and one of them being getting new sprockets. The ones I have are pretty hammered, so I'll definitely need to order new ones. Any suggestions as to which sizes/combo I should use? I'm away from my shop now (where the bike is at), but I do remember counting 50-51 teeth on the rear sprocket. BTW, the bike will not be used for racing or dirt riding- strictly street. Any info would be great( tooth count, part number, etc.). Thanks a lot- have a great day!

Clint
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Sprocket sizes

Post by Bullfrog »

Since Super Rats were produced for off-road use . . . in most states they can not be licensed for use on the street. Are you sure you are working on a Super Rat? And can you license it in your state?

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
tahoethumper

Post by tahoethumper »

The bike is really a heinz 57 of random parts ( I don't have the money to fully restore the bike). It is an ace 100b frame(maybe?) with a super rat engine, ceriani front end, clip ons, etc. I can register it for road use in Washington State but I have to wait 3 years for a title since I acquired it in boxes and no one knows the previous owner. I'm setting it up with a headlight, tail light, horn, and blinkers.

Anyways. ....would a 15T/50T sprocket combo be appropriate for this engine? It's what i have, but again, I got it in pieces so I just want to make sure. Thanks!
Attachments
2015-05-18 15.03.39.png
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Sounds a little low, but try the old sprockets and see what you think. I think about 15-36 is for street use on that model. By the way that thing does look cool with clip-ons, Cerianis and such. I'm liking it! Keep us posted!

Max

PS--At 15-45, One tooth on the front is equal to three on the back if that helps. On the front a 12 is getting too small because of a short radius. A 16 is about tops due to clearance problems as I remember. Anyway I hope this helps. OK, this is a guess but I think I'd try 15-36, 15-38 or 15-40 which would give some options on the countershaft. The countershaft sprockets are only 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the rear. Just my opinion, maybe the gang has some more opinions on this one.
Modracer70

Post by Modracer70 »

15/36 should be close, what mods have been done to engine, carb size etc? I'm running a 14/36 on my Super Combat cylindered 94 lower end with good results.
Dave
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Very cool.

Danny
tahoethumper

Post by tahoethumper »

This is why I come here- always great input! Thanks Max and Dave.

Dave, the engine has a over .040 dykes piston, reed induction, 24mm mikuni, along with a k&n filter and torque engineering pipe.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

If that's a Torque Engineering pipe, the cops are going to love you!