The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zyx

Project completed - finally

Post by Zyx »

Hodaka in its native environment
Hodaka in its native environment
New Wild Child
New Wild Child

Needs a fuel filter and some shakedown time, but does fire roads pretty well for an MX hybrid. 100B frame modified, 97 engine with cushioned primary and 94 gear set. Seems I left out the control shaft o-ring. Anyone know for certain whether the control shaft can be pulled without splitting the cases?
Last edited by Zyx on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Project completed - finally

Post by Bullfrog »

Heck yeah. Replacing ANY control shaft item (including the O-ring in the end of the counter shaft) can be done with engine in frame.

Lay bike on side. Tie kick start lever back. Remove clutch cover.

Remove control shaft snap ring and all control shaft components (springs, ball receiver) - don't drop any of those items into the engine.

Re-install clutch cover.

Stand bike up.

Remove shift cover. Pull Control shaft out. Replace O-ring. Re-install control shaft and shift cover.

Lay bike on side. Remove clutch cover. Re-install all the control shaft components (make dang sure the control shaft snap ring is properly installed and is fully "shrouded" by the snap ring retainer). Re-install clutch cover (use grease to hold clutch pressure piece in its bore).

Release kick start lever from its tied back position.

Stand bike up and go riding.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

PS: Are you SURE you left out the O-ring? (Like you found it on the bench?) A loose counter shaft sprocket nut will result in oil leakage and could easily make you think the O-ring is at fault.
Keep the rubber side down!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The bike looks great! I did have to stand on my head to view the top picture. Sounds like Ed has got you covered on the o-ring fix. Enjoy that new project!

Max
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Thanks for the explanation on o-ring install. Very sure there is no ring in there, but I got this engine on eBay and there has been an endless list of things done wrong or left out completely. O-ring is just one of several. The clutch was missing discs, the transmission was from a 100B or MX, the wrist pin was pressed in instead of fitted. On and on. No doubt about where the oil is coming from.

Does everyone see one or more photos upside down. I think it is my iPad doing something screwy.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Had the same issue with the seals on the control shart. They were non-existent. Needed new print on control shaft and on the kickshaft. Had the tranny apart to replace all the seals anyway. The oil leaked around the control shaft while the bike was on the kickstand. I would loose about 10 ounces of oil until it dropped below the point where it would leak out around the control shaft seal.

Also it's recommended that you replace the circlip at the end of the shaft whenever you remove it. I also had a major pain trying to get it back on. Seems there's a special tool for pushing that clip back on over the end of the end of the control shaft. I sure couldn't get even the old one back on with the tools I had! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Special tool I have seen was made from a nut and bolt, with the nut inside diameter just large enough to pass over the rod, and the bolt inserted in the nut only part way, making a cavity the rod end will pass into, pushing the clip onto the rod. Its a pain in any event. Now I have to do all this without dropping the parts into the case. Odds, no better than 50/50.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Gang, here's the tool. Slide the collar down the taper pin over the clip and the whole thing is pushed on by the tool. Incredibly easy. I wonder if Paul has some of these for sale? If not AZ, you could probably manufacture one. By the way the large end of the taper pin is cupped which you can't see in the photo. The chances of getting that clip on without this tool are slim to none!

The pictures of the bike are right side up and looking good. (Except for that opaque vent hose)-- 8-)

Maxie
Attachments
SH_Hodaka_ControlShaftTool.jpg
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I have a 4' lathe and a reciprocating mill, so probably could make one now that I know what they look like. Forgot to get less than opaque vent hose today. Next time. Reposted the photos from an iMac and they seem to be okay. When I looked using the desktop, one of the photos was upside down even to me. I think it is the iPad programming.

I managed to get the clip on the shaft a couple of weeks ago without tools other than pliers, sockets and such, but it did take a disproportionate amount of French.