Speedometer refresh

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Hodaka Dan

Speedometer refresh

Post by Hodaka Dan »

Hi everyone. I'm in the process of restoring a Wombat 94. My speedometer has a little bit of haze on the inside of the glass. Is it possible to disassemble the speedo to clean it. It looks like the bezel is crimped or swaged onto the instrument body. I attempted to add a picture but not sure how well it will show the problem. You can see the haze a little in the 10 to 30 mph range on the dial. Thanks for taking a look.
Dan
Attachments
image.jpg
rtboone

Re: Speedometer refresh

Post by rtboone »

re-crimped area is barely visible when speedo is mounted
re-crimped area is barely visible when speedo is mounted
I have taken several apart to clean the inside, so it can be done. Just go slow-I used a very small flat blade screwdriver- be careful not to bend the housing and don't bend the bezel too much or it might split. You might want to apply a thin film of silicon to the parts before you re-crimp to insure water & dust can't get back inside. You may need to re-paint the housing as well.
This is a tedious job, so take your time and good luck.

Tom

P.S. Make sure that all the rubber grommets are in good shape as well
Attachments
ready for another 9K
ready for another 9K
Hodaka Dan

Post by Hodaka Dan »

I thought that may be the course of action. Wow, nice job you did on that Tom. I hope mine comes out as well. Thanks for the quick response. This forum is an awesome resource.

Dan
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Tom--My 94A speedometers hand has fallen off. I was afraid to pry all this apart but I might give it a try--Thanks for your input! This is a good resource!
As always---
Maxie
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

I posted a link that did a really good job explaining how to disassemble a speedo a few months ago but can't find it.

Basically use a small screw driver, and carefully... did I say carefully?, pry open the crimp. take very small bites and make many rotations. You do not want to split the metal or stretch it any more than it already is. Only pry open as much that is needed to get the body off.

Once you have the body off, you can completely disassemble the rest. The rubber grommet does come off the glass if you're careful.

Take care not to use a solvent cleaner of any kind on the speedo face, it comes off easy. A very light mist of water will work fine if you HAVE to use a liquid.

To reassemble, I found that the Speedo needs to be pressed against the trim ring and glass to make a proper fit. Place it face down on a flat surface and use two wood clamps to press it down compressing the speedo body into the rubber gasket. Then SLOWLY start rolling the crimp back into place. Pressing it down in small bites many time around. You do not want to release the clamps until the crimps is holding the body securely against the rubber gasket.

sounds like a good resonator article... hmm...

$0.02

Roger
Dale

Post by Dale »

Roger,
I believe that the article that you were searching for is over on the Yahoo group site??? Title contains "How to defog..."
Here is a link to the message after you are signed into the Yahoo site.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Hod ... ages/48528
Dale
Dale
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Yup, Roger.. definitely a good Resonator piece! Bring it on.
Bob