New Project!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Charlie R

New Project!

Post by Charlie R »

Here I was, minding my own business, having a pleasant conversation with a fella when he says to me...."so, you mess with old bikes do ya? Come out here and look at this and tell me if you'd give me anything for it." I REALLY don't need any more projects. We turn the corner of his warehouse and there it is...an early 94 Wombat. Approaching the bike I'm already picking up on stuff....needs a headight assembly (missing), needs proper tires (has fairly new knobbies), etc.
Now,we're up close and I see it has the nicest tank (inside and out) that I've seen in a LONG time. Chrome is nice, proper fenders, seat is a nice original. Somewhere along the line a Model 95 cylinder, head,and carb was installed. Also, a Whispering Smith pipe was installed. The guy says its been sitting in the same place for at least 20 years. Anyhow, I made him an offer and now I've got another project. I'll post some pics of it in a bit. See what happens when you mind your own business and aren't looking?
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
socalhodaka

Re: New Project!

Post by socalhodaka »

Way to jump back in CR, I for one am so flag your back.
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Thanks Kelly! Trying to fiqure out this picture posting thing...can you 'splain it?

Charlie R
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Charlie R wrote:Thanks Kelly! Trying to fiqure out this picture posting thing...can you 'splain it?

Charlie R
1st.jpg
2nd.jpg
3rd.jpg
4th.jpg
5th.jpg
6th.jpg
7th.jpg
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

IMG_1072.JPG
Thanks for the help Kelly! Now to see if I can do it....
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

IMG_1073.JPG
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

IMG_1074.JPG
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Charlie,

It's just not fair that you stumble into these deals. I could spend the rest of my life searching for such a find, and the finds find you. Ain't fair.

GMc
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Well GMc, I HAVE kissed a LOT of frogs to meet this one princess!

Charlie R.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Charlie, if you want to put multiple photo in one post just repeat step 5 and 6
8th.jpg
rough rider

Post by rough rider »

Good looking bike and clean! Richard
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Man, that is a nice catch--I'm envious for sure!

Max
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Thanks guys! I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty good supply of new/used parts. I've installed the new headlight assembly, changed fork seals and oil, replaced the front tire with a 241 Shinko trials tire, and blown apart the rear wheel. It came with a nice Raedelli 185 x 18 x 36 hole rim but I'm gonna lace up the proper Takasago rim and mount a 241 Shinko on the rear as well. An old customer called yesterday looking for a Model 95 cylinder. I told him the story about this bike and he wound up buying the complete top end. I have an NOS Model 94 top end assembly to install. The pipe will go on a Combat project. What I do not have is an early 94 pipe/spark arrestor. If anyone has an solid spare I would be interested. I'll post pics as the project progresses.

Charlie R
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Project 94 update...New top end installed, rear wheel relaced with proper Takasago rim, new tires/tubes installed, headlight assembly installed, replaced 100 clutch assembly with the proper 5 disc clutch assembly. Still need to address exhaust, carb, grips, move ignition switch to LH side and a few more little things. I will be riding with the Tulsa Tiddlers next month on their annual 4 States ride if it's ready. :D
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
oldmxracer

Post by oldmxracer »

Nice.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Charlie--Tell me about the Tulsa Tiddlers 4-state ride if you would. Sounds like it might come through my area. :)

Max
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Charlie nice talking to you. I can see by the pictures what you are talking about. I'll get back to you tomorrow
MTRob
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Charlie I noticed you have the key switch on the wrong side, it goes just behind the wombat air cleaner. The side you have it on the exhaust will
cover up the switch.
MTRob
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Max (and anyone else here who is in my area) , if you can send me your email address I will send you the link to the Tulsa Tiddlers rides and activities.
I was mistaken in my last post.The 4 states rally is later in the year I believe. It starts and ends in Jay,OK. Goes through parts of KS, MO, and AR. You are real close for that ride. The ride next month is around the Ouachita Mountains in SE Ok.

Rob, it was my pleasure. The bike still needs a few more things to be right and moving the ignition switch is one of them. I look forward to visiting with you tomorrow.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Looks showroom fresh. Must have to get really close to see the age of this one.