Tom's Road Toad Shocks

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Tom's Road Toad Shocks

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Tom--I was checking out your very cool bike on the SH site "Your Bikes." I'm helping a good friend restore his RT, You probably saw it on the post 'Road Toad Project" recently. Anyway, I was curious about the rear shocks--what are they and do they work well? (I was out of the Hodaka business before Road Toads.)--- Length?

Awesome job on the bike!

Thanks--Max
Attachments
tboone0448.jpg
dirty_rat

Re: Tom's Road Toad Shocks

Post by dirty_rat »

Until he replies with exactly what he is using, here is what they look like. The shocks look like Red Wing "Hammerhead" shocks. They come up on ebay quite often. They were an aftermarket shock back in the 1970's. From what I have heard, most people that use them like them.
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

Max

These are NOS Red Wing "Hammer Head" shocks that I found on e-bay. They are 340mm (13/38") eye center to center. The aluminum body on the left side just barely clears the chain, and the body on the right had to be ground a bit to clear the swing arm gusset.
They work much better than the stock chrome shocks that I had, and have good damping and allow full wheel travel. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the seals haven't dried. No leaks so far.
Paul sells new Progressive shocks that are made specifically for Hodakas, and you can get different lengths and spring rates as well. This would be an excellent choice for your project. I have a pair of Progressives on another bike, and they work great.

Thanks for your comment. This is a fun bike to ride and is an amazingly capable little trail bike----and street legal to boot!

Good luck with your RT

Tom
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Tom--Thanks for the info! I just hadn't seen those before. You are right, I think the Progressives are the way to go. I bought a set for my 94A from Paul and they work great as you say. Mystery solved.

Thanks again--Max