KYB Shocks Super Rat 98

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SuperRat01

KYB Shocks Super Rat 98

Post by SuperRat01 »

Hello All, I was wondering if anyone has tried to paint the model 98 KYB shocks to make them appear like the original anodized treatment? If so, what paint was used? Thanks, Linc
hodakamax

Re: KYB Shocks Super Rat 98

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Linc--You might try Krylon "Metallics". It's in a spray can at your local hardware store. #1403 Dull Aluminum--I've been using it on restorations for kick stands, brake pedals and things that need that anodized look. It seems to be fairly durable and dries really fast--retouches good too. Hope this helps!

Maxie
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Hey SuperRat01, where in Florida are you located. There are a few of us in the Tampa bay area.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Origionally the shock bodies arnt anodized but coated with clear paint. What I do for my bikes is remove the wore out clear paint with carb cleaner or paint remover it comes off easy. Then I scrub them with red scotch brite pad and that gives them a nice brushed finish and if they start looking old again just rub them again.
Rich
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I have to agree with Rich, I think the brushed aluminum look is the way to go. The paint works good on the parts I mentioned ( also footpegs) but I never pass up polishing or brushing aluminum!

Maxie