Repacking wheel bearings

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Scribbler

Repacking wheel bearings

Post by Scribbler »

I'd like to repack the wheel bearings on my Wombat. 40-year old grease..... The bearings are good. Is it possible to remove the bearings per the manual without damaging them? The first bearing gets tapped on the inner race because the spacer is in the way. Do they tap out without much force when the wheel hub is heated?

Not sure how effective it would be to clean and repack with the bearings in place. They appear to be a caged type ball bearing.
Firehawkmph

Re: Repacking wheel bearings

Post by Firehawkmph »

Never tried to save them when removing. I normally replace with new, they're not that much money. Sometimes they come out without to much force.
Mike Hawkins
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I agree with Mike, just replace them. However, with enough heat mine have usually almost fell out ... just a couple light taps which will not hurt the bearings. So give it a try as you have to take them out anyway. I would not advise trying to clean and repack them while in place.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

I removed the bearings from both wheels today. Enough heat - yes, that's the key. I'm going to go ahead and install new bearings after I finish cleaning up the rims and spokes. Thanks for the great advice.

Jay
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Scribbler wrote:I removed the bearings from both wheels today. Enough heat - yes, that's the key. I'm going to go ahead and install new bearings after I finish cleaning up the rims and spokes. Thanks for the great advice.

Jay
I like to freeze my bearings before I install them, sometimes they fall right in with no tapping.