Road Toad shifter problems-first time here guys...

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rickcjmc

Road Toad shifter problems-first time here guys...

Post by rickcjmc »

Hey All,

Rick Patston, St Paul Oregon. I just bought a 75 Road Toad yesterday, fairly complete needing some TLC, did get it to fire today so that's a step in the right direction. The shifter seems to be stuck in gear, clicks down but no noticeable gear change and nothing shifting up. I've looked at some of the illustrated parts manuals online and looks pretty straight forward but thought I'd seek a little advice before I tear it apart. Anything would help. I have collected vintage Japanese bikes for 20+ years and this is my second Hodaka. A few also laying around are a 1959 Yamaha YD2 and 1961 Honda C105T.KZ1000LTD and a GS550MZ Katana. Oh, and a CBX Honda.

Thanks in advance...Rick
Attachments
hodaka road toad.jpg
hodaka road toad.jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Road Toad shifter problems-first time here guys...

Post by Bullfrog »

Remove the inspection cover on the shifter cover and tell us a bit about what you see there.

But wayeeee more importantly, you MUST rock the machine back-and-forth while attempting to shift gears. So give it another shifter operations test while rocking the machine strongly back-and-forth.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Rocking is helpful in allowing the shift balls to engage when the gears are not turning. Usually only needed when the engine is not running. If it is running, and the clutch pack is not stuck, it should shift without fiddling. But, if the shift lever is disconnected from the shaft, it won't shift, only stay where it is, usually all the way one way or the other, i.e., first or fifth, but the shift lever feels as if it is clicking through the gears because the detents are in the shift side cover. (Only by way of filling in background detail on what was said before, all of which is correct. I always liked to know WHY something worked the way it did. Hope this helps.)
rickcjmc

Post by rickcjmc »

OK, Got the inspection cover off and it was stuck in fifth gear. I used a screw driver to move the gear change shaft out and it will now shift thru the gears. I sprayed some lithium grease in there and worked thru the gears and it shifts OK now. I'm gonna guess this will happen again so It may be time to update some worn parts.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am sure I'll have a few more questions.

Rick
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Glad it is working now . . . and yes, it will stick again.

First thing to check is the "sloppiness" of the foot change shaft in its bore. (the shaft the shift lever is attached to)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!