Restoration ACE90

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
kingdve

Re: Restoration ACE90

Post by kingdve »

I till have the sprockets from the Ace 100 I bought new in my parts box (swapped them off for a 45 tooth) and the B+ I bought last summer stil has the originals on it ...
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

I'm going to swallow my pride and ask because I scratched my head over it all day yesterday. How do I get the front wheel off? The manual was not helpful. I've undone the pinch bolt.
Attachments
image.jpg
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

It screws into the fork leg. Take a philips screw driver and turn counter clockwise.
Terry
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

I obviously missed that screw, must be packed w grease and grime. Thank you.
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

I think that Terry meant to say that the axle itself is unscrewed from the fork leg by turning it counterclockwise.

Tom
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

Thanks Tom, I was not to clear on my reply I guess.
Terry
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Okie dokie, the axel was really stuck in there but it came out.
Best place to purchase rims and spokes?
Can I get a replacement tail light lense for this bike being the older smaller one?
The tank cleaner on this website, good product? Should I do it before or after rechroming?
My biggest question for the day is where can I find the spanner wrenches for the head tube?
Thanks guys.
Roger finsihed the engine and its on its way back.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Tail light lens - You might try Bruce Young at Hodakaparts.com.

Spanner wrench - A punch and plastic hammer works just fine (unless you are building a show bike).
Dale
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

On the spanner wrench - I just bought an adjustable steering stem wrench. It fits both top and bottom steering stem nuts. Fits the notches perfectly. Adjusts like a crescent wrench. I'd been looking for the proper tools for awhile, and only recently noticed that this was available. It loosened the tight top nut easily without cobbing it up and should make adjustment of the steering bearings a lot more precise.

Search for the Pit Posse Adjustable Steering Stem Wrench PP2649. I got mine from amazon.
PP2649.jpg
PP2649.jpg (6.78 KiB) Viewed 5808 times
(Note: This is my first post to Hodaka Forum and I hesitated making it a product recommendation. I own a Wombat 94A.)
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Hey All,
It's been a while since I've been on here, I've been picking away at the little Ace 90. My doctoral project and job have been quite busy. So fun to work on this little bike. I am sending the tank and misc chrome to Mr. Vlk in Ohio per Roger and Paul's recommendations, I found 1 pinhole leak on it as I was cleaning the rust out with rust remover. Roger did a stellar job on the motor, thank you sir. Paul has been a great resource and am not far from him so am looking forward to a trip down to see the museum. The wheels and tires are inseparable, but I have a shop to reassemble the wheels and am dropping them off tomorrow to have them get the tires off and disassemble so that I can send the rims to Mr. Vlk as well. Spokes I will purchase new, hubs I assume polish well. The fork has yet to be disassembled I'm a little nervous about taking it apart as I've never disassembled one entirely, any recommendations? I have the manual. Also the chrome head pieces that go around the steering stem and hold the bearings, how do I get them out of the frame? Any recommendations on nut and bolt resto? Roger mentioned cadmium plating, but only knew of a shop that does this in bulk. I have the red paint from this site and purchased a new sandblaster for this project along with aircraft stripper. I have the larger sprocket, hardware, and chain links now. My goal is still to have it finished by May/June for gramps to see running this summer, and of course to put some miles on :0)
~Curtis
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Happy Spring everyone!!! It's the first warm day here in Vermont since September! I received my Ace90 tank yesterday from Jeff and it looks amazing! Thank you for bringing her back to life! Awaiting the remaining chrome and some warm days to lay down the Hodaka red. I've spent the winter cleaning and polishing the nuts and bolts and am getting excited for reassembly. The goal is to have her on the road by June 1st. Thank yall for your help. Thank you Roger for your amazing restoration of the motor, Jeff for resurrecting the chrome, and Paul for your knowledge and guidance on parts. I'm sure I'll have quite a few questions on reassembly.
~Curtis
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by CURTISHARVIE on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Wow, that's some serious shine.

Brian
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Oh shoot good catch...gone...darn work bench reading material.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

No problems Curtis!
CURTISHARVIE

Day 1 Reassembly

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Day 1 of reassembly. Waiting on a few more pieces of chrome so I can get the forks together. On track to be on the road by August 15th for gramps to see his ole girl reborn for another 50 years of riding. Coming together nicely for my first resto, even wet sanded and buffed the paint to get a smooth single stage finish. Enjoy the pictures, any input is certainly welcome. I hope everyone had a blast at Hodaka Days, I'd like to be there next year!
~Curtis
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg