Day One - New Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Re: Day One - New Project

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Victor, No, I have not addressed the kick stand problem. I have gotten side tracked with working on the engine. Not only that it's Springtime in Kansas and too many things are happening at once. Most days are beautiful and Crappie are biting, mushrooms are emerging and wild turkeys are gobbling. Too much to do all at once. (We semi-retired people have a rough life!)

That might work, I'll PM you my address and send it to me with a bill if you could.

Thanks!

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Southeast Kansas has greened up and it's hard to stay inside working on motorcycles when fish are biting, Morel mushroom time is eminent and wild turkeys are wandering around the property. I did get a few small things accomplished though like rebuilding the clutch with new discs and a real crankcase installed in the frame. I was a bit rusty on clutches and it took more than one assembly (several actually) to get things working. :? I'm sure everyone has figured out the almost free number plate mounts at the local Ace Hardware. Did that. Just checking in with a minor report!

Max
Attachments
Almost free number plate brackets.
Almost free number plate brackets.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Nice stuff Max, love the crisp clear photos.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey thanks Kelly, no big secrets here, a Nikon Coolpix P330 with a tripod. It's easy to compete with computers, phones and toasters with even an inexpensive "real" camera. I even have to turn the resolution down to keep from posting too large of file. A lot of real photographers lost their jobs because of the drop in standards that they call "good enough". Not complaining, that's just what photography has turned into and it was a good career.. I like being semi-retired and working on motorcycles better! :lol:

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Yay! The mailman just delivered the new number plate about an hour ago and I had one set of my cut vinyl numbers left from the 94A project. Ah, looking almost ready to compete in something. Not a big step but at least I'm somewhat excited. :) The engine has experienced a slight delay as the rings were the wrong size for the Wiseco piston. It was a packaging error from Wiseco and is being remedied as we speak.

Max
Attachments
5X too much end gap!
5X too much end gap!
Ready to compete in something!
Ready to compete in something!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Max could you send the old man north in a few weeks as I need to do some painting. The snow is leaving and if he could bring his supplies that would be grate. Free room and small zuchinni garden-------------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Clarence, I see you have emerged from hibernation and appear to be live and well. SE Kansas is already into painting and Zuchinni planting weather. I've got the old guy beginning to paint the house. He's kinda slow but does a "good" job. 8-)

Max
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I just recieved 2 sets today! Got black ones for the Road Toad & red & silver for the Ace!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Victor, I deleted my post because I was a little uncomfortable about discussing alternate shocks on this site even though you are answering my question. Did you try mounting them inverted from how you have them now to see how they fit? They do look trick.

Max
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Max,
To answer your earlier question about the schrader valves on the shocks, they are used for charging the shock with nitrogen to pressurize the damping fluid in the shock to keep it from foaming. They are typically charged with about 175psi. The shocks with the piggyback reservoirs may have a bladder or floating piston to take up the displaced fluid as the shock compresses. The Progressive shocks that you purchased from Paul also are nitrogen charged too but are not rebuildable or rechargeable, and cannot be recharged once they fail. They actually are very good shocks though for the price and I run them on several of my race bikes. I don't know anything about the brand that you and Victor purchased.

Victor,
The shocks may be mounted either side up and will function both ways, but are designed to be mounted reservoirs up to reduce unsprung weight. I would also be worried about chain clearance for the reservoirs if mounted in the reservoir down orientation. I would rather have the chain occasionally hit the spring than be wearing on the aluminum body of the reservoir.

As a side note Progressive shocks are designed to be run with the dampers down and the springs will interfere with the chain if mounted with the dampers up on a Hodaka. Let us know how they work.
Ivan AKA "Pop"
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Ivan for the info, I haven't purchased anything yet, just asking questions. I'll probably try My RT shocks for a while to test length. Lotsa info to digest. :shock:

Max
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Well I though about it. On the Ace they probably won't work right side up because there's not enough clearance for the pipe with the air canister. And I put them on inverted on the Toad because I liked the way they look and it's easier access to add air with the valve not being upside down. I hope to mount the red ones on the Ace tomorrow and see how they feel. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Victor good luck with the shocks. I want to reiterate that they are not air shocks. Like all modern shocks the schrader valves are for charging the shocks with nitrogen. Do not attempt to add air. If they are charged correctly there is usually between 150-200psi of nitrogen in there. It is a very small volume and even checking the pressure with a tire gauge would let most of it escape. Those shocks are rebuildable and can be recharged by most competent motorcycle service shops. Here is a picture of them partially dis-assembled.
Attachments
RFY Shock-Break-Down.jpg
Ivan AKA "Pop"
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

OK glad to know this. I guess people call them air shocks out of habit. After all, the air we breathe is about 79% nitrogen anyway.

My Silverado came with tire's filled with nitrogen. They said it would make a BIG difference in the tire's dropping air pressure when the weather got colder. It didn't. They said if I needed to add "air" I could, but to come by any time and they would fill them again with nitrogen. Haven't noticed a difference. Not in ride, not in wear, not in pressure drop during cold weather. I think it's all just a sales gimmick.

We will see how the shocks do. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

When you get on page two it means you haven't posted anything for a while. I thought maybe I should at least report in on the project. Engine in and ready to put the head on. I can then get a compression check to see if I need any head work. I think this Webco head is for the high crown early piston and may need a little mill. I've also got the right sprocket combo on so now I can notch the fender for the chain. More soon! All standard stuff but at least it's going together instead of apart. ;)

Max
Attachments
A few more small steps.
A few more small steps.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

What sprocket combo did you decide on? ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Victor, After finding that cool aluminum 12 oz. 50 T rear I went with a 15T front which I'm guessing will be good. Stock 93 Super Rats were 15/50 but I have a 17'' rear which should be slightly lower. It should be good for trail. We'll see. I'll report.

Max
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Looks great Max. Huge reed valve.....nothing like a little visual intimidation.

Danny
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Wow, how time flys---The project is being delayed again by frivolous projects assigned by my wife. Cars shouldn't be allowed in motorcycle shops but I was voted down on this one. :? Didn't I just do this? OK, service is important. A little accomplished on the project. The engine has been buttoned up and exhaust fitting is done. Carb is on and cables routed, it still needs ignition and flywheel but the shifter case has been rebuilt and ready. I've even kicked on it with the compression gauge to determine if I need to mill the Webco head. Between my funky old gauge and the engine having not run, I'm having trouble getting an accurate reading. I think I'll just break it in and deal with it later. The seat Guy is behind but all is falling into place.---Another excuse and report.

Max :)
Attachments
This is how things get delayed.
This is how things get delayed.
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Max,
You could probably get at least one wheel on the motorcycle lift....maybe give you a little more room to work. :) :) :)

Danny
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Funny Danny, I just finished a great battle with a stuck oil filter and my head won't even fit under there. No room to drive a punch through it. I only knocked a hole in it so it could leak on me. What a design at least for people without lifts. Grrr. I did win and now I remember how much more fun motorcycles are to work on! :)

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Wow, I'm halfway down page two on the Day One project. It must be time for a report. I did get the chain and sprockets together. I went with the model 93 sprockets which are stepped out a bit for a wider tire. The Maxxis 100/100-17 rear tire is about at the limit for width as you can see by the photo. The chain touches the feelers but not the knob. Really close. I always measure the distance between the swing arm pivot and the center of the rear axle on both sides to insure that all is square after chain adjustments. All was well but I was really close tire to chain. No room for any chain guards.

The new shocks meet all the requirements of looking cool and hi-tec. Exactly what I wanted for this project. The price was right and they look very cool but it still remains to be seen if they really work as shocks. I must say that the finish is excellent. They are 340mm eye to eye, the same as a Road Toad and probably several others. Fender trimmed for chain and stock ignition installed and timed along with new kill button. Nothing wired together yet. Rebuilt shifter case installed and shifter adjusted.

So, there you are with another report. Popping soon I hope.

Max
Attachments
REALLY close chain to tire.
REALLY close chain to tire.
Pipe clearance dictates shock mounting configuration.
Pipe clearance dictates shock mounting configuration.
Really cool looking shocks for this project.
Really cool looking shocks for this project.
Chain, sprockets, shifter case and shocks installed.
Chain, sprockets, shifter case and shocks installed.
Last edited by hodakamax on Fri May 06, 2016 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I cringed when you stated no room for any chain guards. Here is a fabrication idea. The front mount for the chain guard is well ahead of the tire. You could fabricate a mini chain guard to mount there. I had done that for my Combat Wombat while running the Maxxis rear tire. I used 1 1/2" aluminum bar stock and shaped it to fit. It worked fine but now I have switched to a 4.10 Cheng Shin and I have the original guard back in place.
Dale
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Maxie,

I second Dale's thought. A chain guard of some sort is a really good idea for a dirt bike. (and it will be interesting to see what clever way you might come up with to provide one!)

Ed
PS: I guess I've seen too many shift covers popped off by chunkies delivered to the shift cover by the knobbie tire/chain conveyor system. :-)
Keep the rubber side down!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Dale, Your chain guard idea sounds interesting. Any pictures of this device?

And Ed, The older I get the more allergic I get to mud. I don't mind splashing through puddles, but as for diving in I'm cured! :?

Max

PS--OK, I've morphed into a fair weather rider. :)