MTN
Ace 100
64 Bridgestone BS7
"lil" Indian mini
71 Rupp Roadster 2
socalhodaka

Re: No rings Ace 100

Post by socalhodaka »

I believe most put the motor together in this way, all into the right side and then place the left side on.

I use a block made like this, but a couple 2x4 on the side will work also.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I will get that a shot when I get home. I was being lazy and did not take the trans gears out of the left side. I don't think I will be able to get it together unless I do though. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again
MTN
Ace 100
64 Bridgestone BS7
"lil" Indian mini
71 Rupp Roadster 2
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I used a shoe box and it worked. I got the engine back together but now it is turning really hard. Is it possible that I over tightened the case screws? I didn't crank on them but I did snug them up. Any suggestions?
MTN
Ace 100
64 Bridgestone BS7
"lil" Indian mini
71 Rupp Roadster 2
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Over tightening the case screws will not cause the engine to bind. Is it the crank that is binding or the transmission gears? The gears turned in the wrong direction is a usual cause for binding. The ridge on the gears should all be to the left side on that model.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And all that wealth of knowledge from my dear friend and Hodaka Club Membership coordinator.
Thank you Bill!
Paul
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I have had engines that were overtightened and the engine did not turn over you, would be fine with a firm hand tighten. You need a little sideplay in your shafts. I always make sure I have everything freed up then I apply sealer ect. You can also check the crank or the shafts one at a time. Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I've got to side with Bill on this one. If the internals are all properly positioned/installed - there is no way tightening the case screws will cause things to bind. In fact, you could over-torque the screws to the point of breaking . . . and the internals would still not bind up.

If the transmission or the crankshaft get hard to turn as the screws are tightened, something is not right inside.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Something must not have been lined up and when I tightened the case screws it would cause it to bind. I took it all apart and refitted everything and it seems ok now. I am going to seal it all up, put in new rings and say a prayer. With any luck I will have the old girl running this weekend.

On a side note my wife came down stairs and caught me working on the engine, she said so you are working on motorcycle engines in the house now. My reply was of course not babe, this is a dirtbike engine :) busted!
MTN
Ace 100
64 Bridgestone BS7
"lil" Indian mini
71 Rupp Roadster 2