sudden loss of spark 94A Wombat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
944turbo

sudden loss of spark 94A Wombat

Post by 944turbo »

Hey guys just got the Wombat running last weekend, was running perfect, ran the bike 3-4 times, shut it down didn't attempt to start again for 1 week, suddenly no spark at all. I assume everything on this bike is 40+ years old. I haven't pulled the cover and fly wheel yet but should I assume condenser or something like that?

As always any help would be appreciated.

BTW I reversed the front brake shoes and added a shim to the cam and the brakes are substantially better, thanks for that one!!

944turbo
dcooke007

Re: sudden loss of spark 94A Wombat

Post by dcooke007 »

Before removing the shift cover inspect the wires going to the coil, make sure you have good connections and no grounded wires. Check for spark. If no spark still, disconnect the wire for the engine kill switch and check for spark. If no spark disconnect the white connector going from the main harness to the engine and check for spark. More than likely the problem is under the shift cover but it only takes a few minutes to make those checks.

You should not attempt to remove the flywheel with out the proper flywheel puller. If you are going to all that trouble you may want to go ahead and a get a new set of points and condenser...if not needed at least you will have a spare when needed.

Danny
944turbo

Post by 944turbo »

Thx Danny I pulled the flywheel during my initial clean up and general adjusting prior to firing up the bike, I have a flywheel puller, I like the idea of finding a grounded wire or something of that description. I had very good spark prior to firing up the bike so it seems like something failed big time or I have a wire that was close to failure and now it failed.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

While I agree that preventive maintenance is a good thing, I personally prefer not to replace things that are working. Removing the flywheel isn't what I would call trouble, especially compared to the time and effort needed to replace points and condenser, and then reset the timing. What I would say is if you pull the flywheel, do diagnostics on the points and condenser. Replacing good parts with new parts isn't always a good thing these days.

Diagnostic practice suggests starting with simple first, and eliminating possibilities until you have actually determined a fault. Danny's suggested regimen for tracing possible ground and open faults is good advice, and correct practice -- especially as the bike was running perfectly the last time you used it. Sudden failure would almost never be points or condenser unless you also ran through deep water the last time out, or pressure washed the bike without running it afterward. Point being that water under the cover could cause overnight failure, but barring that, the problem likely isn't under the cover.

So the process is one of finding something that could account for the symptoms. Shorts and opens, or corroded ignition switch contacts fall under the probables column. It will be something simple, no doubt. Oh, and check the plug. It isn't likely, but it is possible, if you flooded it trying to start it, it could be fouled.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Don't forget the "quick fix" of simply cleaning the points before starting all out tear downs.

I used to ride 4 miles for lunch on a Wombat and on a couple of occasions came out after a chili-burger and pie with ice cream to find a no spark situation. Pulled the shift cover, cleaned the points, put the shift cover back on and rode back to work.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
944turbo

Post by 944turbo »

Good news, got spark! I pushed in the white translucent plug to the ignition switch and got spark, hard to believe that was the issue, I blew out with compressor and put a small dab of dielectric grease on each of the female side of the spades. Made sure to wipe off the rest so I won't get a short across the face because of the grease. Didn't want to wake up the neighbors so I guess I'll dream about it starting tomorrow morning. I did go thru the harness and looked at the coil, ect but I did not see sent issues. I sort a figured it would be something simple, glad that was the case. Hopefully I got it and didn't just undid turn something to gave it happen again.

Thx for the quick response. I'm not sure what I like best the bike or the chat forum.

:P