1977 250 SL help!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
HodakaHughey

1977 250 SL help!

Post by HodakaHughey »

Hi there fellow Hodaka owners! I got a quick question. I've been searching for info on the 250 SL hodaka model. The one specifically I'm asking about is the 70(a) model I believe. THe one with white fenders but red tank and plastics. I've been told the bike weighed about 216-250 pounds and made about 18 or 19 horses. I've also been told that it is mistakes for the thunder dog as well which is close except the SL is street legal. Other than the small info I put here that's all that I know. I would greatly appreciate any help also wondering the diff between the 70 and 70A so other than color thanks so much I'm going to purchase one in the morning and will post pics when I can thanks!!
olddogs

Re: 1977 250 SL help!

Post by olddogs »

No mistaking a 250SL and a Thunderdog. They look nothing alike other than they were both 250s. The Thunderdog is ALL orange plastic, tank included.

Your bike is the later production run as the very early SL had a blue frame and a white tank. 250 pounds is light for an SL, I would guess closer to 260 or 270. It earned the nickname Trail Whale for that reason.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Published specifications say "284.5 pounds (dry)" . . . lots of down-force for traction!

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

285 sounds like a reasonable weight for a trail bike, if it included the rider. But it's a Hodaka, you have to love it no matter what.

The weight, large seat and smooth engine made a nice dual sport ride when a passenger was included. I put thousands of memorable miles on one when my kids were young.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I love some models more than others. ;) My fondness generally trends along the lines of the "love quotient" is inversely proportional to the "dry weight". Ya know? ;)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

I often refer to the SL250 as the ugly step-child only a mother could love, or the Hodaka built by a blind man out of a box spare parts nobody wanted.
HodakaHughey

Post by HodakaHughey »

Ahh common she ain't easy on the eyes but dang I still love it!!! What can you guys tell me about the importance of a battery in this bike for starting reasons and others??
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

The battery only operates some of the lights for safety reasons when the engine is off. It will run fine without one. They do help keep the lighting consistent at low rpms, and seems to help the blinkers and horn working at peak levels. Even though it aint pretty, I have owned 3 and found them very comfortable for larger riders.
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

"284.5 pounds", no wonder my back hurts when I drag mine out. I kind of like mine for running around town.

Danny
HodakaHughey

Post by HodakaHughey »

Hmmm just learn some umm...... I'll say interesting things. When I got the bike it had no air filter in it nor the plastic cover that goes over it. I bought it expecting the worse well idk if it's the worst it's most let complete but didn't ask much questions I had to to get to work so I basically got the bike and left only paid 300 bucks and it "runs" which is fine hey like I said expect the worst and hope for better.., I mean hodaka days. Any who he said it had electrical problems and ran with good compression etc etc. then I noticed oil tank was empty tonight when I started taking off tank fenders plastics and all for paint and asked him if he mixed or used tank said he did use tank which is cool then I asked about the missing air filter and he said he ran it since nov or December of 2014 without an air filter until 3 weeks ago when it "stopped runnin " well duh ! I asked him why he used no filter. And he said he couldn't find one ! Well so I'm in the middle of pulling the air box carb and all guess I'll keep u updated. Price was right but damn should I give this kid a heads up that keeping motors clean is important or let him live a long long life of destroying motors and cool peices of history wow
HodakaHughey

Post by HodakaHughey »

Also bike doesn't have good compression I can push the kick start down by hand. With not much effort no big deal if rebuild is the outcome for this is my first hodaka I have 2 (1970's suzukis and an 80's yamaha as well as a 70's plymouth scamp) so I'm not scared or oblivious to older (way cooler) cars trucks etc. anyways I'm getting good spark with old spark plug so im pretty sure the main problem is super filthy carb motor and whatver else due to No air filter! Also small things like kickstart lever shift lever and kick stand all broke messed up or missing which is pretty common for dirt bikes andall luckily I'm ac machinist by trade and own a vertical mill I'm my shop so I can fab reproduce or recreate many parts and such but wondering really why I'm posting is what to expect when I tear into carb, and more any help helps thanksb
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Sounds like a typical 250 restoration project. Kickstarter problems are universal to this model. Parts are available. Shifter same thing. Kick stands always missing. They are easy to make if you are handy. Running no air cleaner most likely wiped out the rings. These pistons are available oversize on this site or TS 250 Suzuki will work. Shop around, these are not the most popular model so a lot of them get parted out. They are pretty easy to work on and the absence of a lot of chrome make them cheaper to restore than toaster tanks.